My Clutch linkage fell apart on me! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 10:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My Clutch linkage fell apart on me!

My clutch fell apart on me in Moab. I pushed it in, and it stayed all the way to the floor. Found out the adjuster bar had worked loose and fallen out.
Bought a new bar, and hooked it up, seemed to work fine for a few hours, and then the peddle stayed to the floor again. This time, the two tubes that go from the peddle (rod) to the adjuster rod pulled apart. I pushed them back together, but they came out again 5 min. later.
Could someone tell me if I need new linkage rods, or just new bushings, etc?
Thanks, I've never done a clutch linkage before . . .

Jed
80 CJ7 258w/TR,Holley carb,5" lift,33x12.5's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 10:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: My Clutch linkage fell apart on me!

Broken motor or body mounts will cause problems like that.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same problem when the big spring on the clutch linkage was weakened. I replaced the spring, and the problem was solved.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 12:29 PM

Sounds like a combo of issues. There is a small clip on either end of the bellcrank that keep the bushings in place and let the bellcrank float left and right as needed. The bellcrack should not fall out. Check your engine and tranny mounts as suggested above. If you have had any type of body lift the increased distance can also cause issues. I have had to lower the bracket on my body to try and keep the bellcrank parrell to the bracket on the bellhousing.

Pigpen
76 CJ5 360/T18A/Bronco gear D20/D30 big brake disc, locker/D44 big drum working on disc/ factory slip/4inch lift/33's/6000lb winch/All Fiberglass/electric fan/full cage/ appetite for MUD
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 01:25 PM
CJ5onMaui

same problem here, I replaced the bellcrank,pedal push rod and extented the lower clutch rod adjuster nut to compensate 1inch body lift. but now the bellcrank is not parallel, it works fine for now. but Pigpen, how did lower the bracket attached to the body tub? thanks

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 01:46 PM

I got it as part of a fiberglass body installation kit. It was just a six inch piece of u channel. Mount the u channel to the body and the bracket lower to the channel. nothing special. I also had to adjust(lengthen) the rod that goes from the bellcrank to the clutch fork to compensate for the move. That rod thing is unscrewed all the way except for the last 2-3 threads. Has worked fine for the past 5 years.

Pigpen
76 CJ5 360/T18A/Bronco gear D20/D30 big brake disc, locker/D44 big drum working on disc/ factory slip/4inch lift/33's/6000lb winch/All Fiberglass/electric fan/full cage/ appetite for MUD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode