detroit and backlash??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 08:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

detroit and backlash???

Put a detroit in my 8.8 (still haven't figured out the brakes), but we drove it anyway. You hear a clunk, clunk......clunk when you mash the gas let off and mash the gas is this normal???/

Also you can spin the tires almost a full turn before the driveshaft starts to spin......????? Is this ok??

FOR SALE35,4.11,posi.FOR TRADE: 35x12.50 SSR wanted 35x14boggers.John-89YJ-350V8,35" SSR's, EFI,revolvers,shackle reversal,SYE,cv shaft, 4.11,locked front D30, rocklock,8.8,2"body, TJ flares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 08:37 AM
Veteran

Re: detroit and backlash???

Well, all auto lockers have some backlash. Some more than others. The Ditroit has a good amount and that's the reason they advise to set your ring gear backlash to the minimum spec when you installing the locker. My Lock-Rights have some too but you'll get used to it.

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R, SOA and Ford 8.8 soon http://members.home.net/t.molnar
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 08:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It has quite a bit of backlash, more in some apps than others. My 20 has a fair amount, you get used to it. After much experimentation I found that R&P backlash seem to magnify through the locker, so set your R&P backlash at the lower number of the tolerance.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 08:58 AM

One full turn is to much you will break something like that!
This means that your driveshaft turns 3-4 times before the tries start to turn? If so, that is not good!! Check it before you break something! Good Luck:

Rodney C
1985 CJ7,302 V8,T18,D20,D44's,SOA,Shackles Reversed, 35" BFG AT's, Fiberglass Tub & Front End...
1990 Samurai,87 drive line,SOA+2.5" Add-A-Leaf,4.16's,5.12's,33" BFG's,Pony Carb...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 09:09 AM
Can't Get Enough

You may have an install problem. My driveshaft turns almost 1/2 of a full rotation before it turns the wheels. This is what causes the jeep to surge to one direction at throttle and the other idrection when coasting. Thats the price ya' gotta pay when getting the good stuff. Otherwise it is the best modification you will ever really appreciate...
Ricky...seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Scout D 300,Pro-Jection,Dana 60's,Detroits,38" Hawgs, 4" BDS SOA,
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 09:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's a thought. Try turning the driveshaft rather than the tires. I'm not that familiar with detroits, but they function on the same premise as do lockrights, right? There is a large pinion shaft that goes in a narrowing slot, forcing the dog clutches out into the side of the case, locking them into dog clutches attached to the axleshafts--right? So if you jack the jeep up and the springs and everything are working right--there is no force coming from the pinion shaft, the springs are holding the dog clutches apart, and you should be able to turn the wheels freely--spin spin spin--without any problems. And when you turn the driveshaft, without too much force, it too should spin relatively simply...unless you provide enough force to cause the pinion shaft to push the clutches out and engage the side shafts...got that? So the important thing here is--how many turns of the driveshaft do you have before something you get tire motion--rather than the reverse.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 11:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I haven't drove it -- will today. My mechanic drove it --- who has never had a locker. He said he parked it on the ground and could "move it" some. And that when he gave it gas either 1/2 throttle or just barely giving it juice he would hear the "clunk". And when releasing the gas "clunk". I guess I'll see when I drive it today. But i've never had a detroit. Just an ez locker in front and one lockright in the rear. The lockright was installed wrong and broke after giving me a huge headache!

89YJ-350V8,35" SSR's, EFI,revolvers,shackle reversal,SYE,cv shaft, 4.11,locked front D30, rocklock,8.8,2"body, TJ flares.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 06:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I drove it last nite and I was surprised how quiet and smooth it was! I think the mechanic thought I was nuts. But it really is much quieter than the old lockright I had once.

89YJ-350V8,35" SSR's, EFI,revolvers,shackle reversal,SYE,cv shaft, 4.11,locked front D30, rocklock,8.8,2"body, TJ flares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode