OT, Diesel to gas conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 08:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OT, Diesel to gas conversion

I have a deal going on two conversion vans,one is a diesel the other is gas. They are both mid 1983 GMC's, I can get both for under a $1000.00. The one with the diesel has a perfect body and the gas motor has a perfect drive train.

My question is how big a deal is it to convert a diesel to a gas motor? I'm looking to tow my Jeep on a trailer with this and just wanted to see if any of you guys have ever done this conversion.

I'm definately not keeping the diesel,so let me know what you think about the conversion.

As always thanks

Edder

Do you smell that?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OT, Diesel to gas conversion

What diesel motor is it, and what kind of condition is it in? I'm not sure about everything neccesary to swap everything but I might be interested in the diesel motor and tranny for a gas to diesel swap if you want to sell it.

<font color=blue>Postals have feelings too!</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 10:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

At this point I'm not sure what diesel it is but as soon as I can try to make the deal I will let you know. I do know it is a 1983 2500 series GMC van, if that is any help. I will keep you posted.

Edder

Do you smell that?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 12:11 AM
Way Outta Control

1. Take the Diesel.
2. If there are any questions about it...
3. Give'm to CJDave, he's an expert on GM diesels!
4. A good diesel will last about a half a billion miles!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 08:17 AM
utahjeepr

In an '83 it should be the 6.2L GM diesel, although I've never heard of them being put in vans. My 6.2L powered truck ran about 300,000 miles before I rebuilt it. Not a great diesel but s#!tloads better than that 350 SBC based diesel they foisted off on folks for a couple of years.

Anyway, the engine should bolt right in. The diesel shares the same bellhousing bolt pattern and motor mount arrangement as the SBC. Depending on the emissions laws where you live, you will probably have to have to swap exhaust systems to get the catalytic convertor. The filler neck might have to be swapped as well to make it "legal" as the diesel will not have the "unleaded only style" filler neck. The tank will have the water in fuel sensor and the water drain petcock, but that shouldn't be a big deal. Get as much diesel out of the tank as possible, then fill it with gas. A little diesel in the gas won't hurt anything in a carbed engine. I doubt it would bother an injected engine either. You will want to pull the glow plug wiring out of the engine compartment just to clean things up a bit. The diesel engine wiring harness will not have any wiring for the gas motor other than the alternator and starter. The wires to the fuel shut off solenoid should work for ignition, but any engine electronics will not be supported. Might be easier to graft in the gas engines wiring than to start fresh. That's about all I can think of. I've never done it this way around, but I have done a gas to diesel swap.

72 CJ-5: 305 Chevy; SM420; D-300; 30/44 with 5.38's, Warn axles, and Detroits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode