The return of the FarmJeep (W/pics) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 06:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The return of the FarmJeep (W/pics)

Having been on and off for the past few months, I'm going to try to be here more frequently again. I had a pleasant visit with Jeepskate the other night, and it made me realize I've been neglecting the SWB forum. Graduated from college, went on vacation...worked a lot...all things that took time. But I'm gonna try to be around more. I finally got a digital camera, so I thought I'd give the FarmJeep tour. Here goes. This first one is a picture of the superduty front diff guard. It is held on by two bolts on either side of the diff cover, and by two at the bottom. The only downside is that the two at the bottom must be tightened progressively as the cover is put on or taken off...I think I'll drill a few "access" holes in the cover to remedy that. So far, it's been pretty stout.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-476941-ftdiff.JPG (55.3 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 06:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: The return of the FarmJeep (W/pics)

Here is the front steering brace. It runs from the passenger frame rail, down to the bottom of the steering box, where it is attached with a large u-bolt around the steering box. I notched one of the castings on the box to hold the u-bolt in place securely...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-476945-stbrace.JPG (68.1 KB, 4 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 07:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is the aforementioned passenger frame rail. The angle iron on it is 3/8", and is 15" long...from the bumper back. It is bolted through the frame in 3 spots, one of which is going to the steering brace. The front bolt goes through the frame and then into the mounts for the front bumper, which is c-channel sandwiched inside the front framerails. The bumper is a standard homemade tube bumper, wtih attached clevises. The angle irons are both welded to two rather substantial pieces of C-channel (both 5/16") that constitute the two uprights holding the big ramsey worm drive in place.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-476950-wnchfrm.JPG (59.5 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 07:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is the side of the winch. The large 4 position switch on the side is a waterproof switch designed for switching batteries on boats. I used it to control the winch. The original wiring schematic called for 2 4 pole solenoids, that would provide + to one of the 3 terminals on the motor, while linking the other two together. Using the 3 position switch, I can link the 2 together, and then use a regular constant duty solenoid to provide the + to the motor. It is a far simpler system, although it does require turning the switch to changing winching directions.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-476954-wnchsd.JPG (71.5 KB, 3 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 07:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This, then, is the standard front view of the jeep (pardon the pixelation, I'm still new to the digital camera). The large loop in the middle under the winch is a 1" eyebolt, mounted through both front and rear winch mounts...the theory behind it is that it functions as the mounting point for double line winching. Thus, the stress is shared equally by both frame rails, and is placed squarely on the winch mount...and on both front and rear portions of that...rather than placing the stress on one of the d-rings...and thus one of the framerails... I still haven't decided if I want to build some sort of front "brush guard" type device. I've considered cutting down the bumper and fenders...but driving around Naperville, the bumper is a plus, rather than a negative.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-476960-IM000267.JPG (71.8 KB, 3 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 07:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The front rollbar is a work in progress. I'm currently developing new front frame tie-ins for it...that will be integrated with new nerf bars. This pic is to answer all the questions people have about clearance with front roll bars in CJ-5s. It really isn't a problem

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-476965-rbside.JPG (62.9 KB, 1 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 07:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here is a rear articulation pic. It'll get about 31" under the rear tire before a front tire pics up...so whatever that translates into RTI...I know it doesn't indicate much. Anyhow, in this picture, you can see the fuel tank skid plate, made of 1/4" steel. It is supported at the front by a brace that goes up to the frame rail. At the rear, it is tied into the rear bumper. That large piece of c-channel going from the fuel skid to the rear bumper is to prevent a problem I had...go over an obstacle and get hung up on that low hanging rear bumper. The skid solves that...although someday I'll probably just cut off that hitch. It sure is nice for towing stuff around the farm, though.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-476967-rart.JPG (68.1 KB, 5 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 07:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

And here's a front articulation picture. Aren't forklifts wonderful? It is a great tool to have. Front articulation is just under 35". The front springs are a little more flexible than the rears...undoubtedly due to the v-8 and large winch on the front. If I had the spare on the back like normal, perhaps the rear would be a bit more flexible...The shocks have plenty of travel for the suspension as it is currently set up (thanks, jeepskate)... But my current problem is that the spring packs fan out and hit the tires when the jeep goes through areas requiring lots of flex. Still trying to engineer a solution that doesn't limit spring flex, but keeps the springs in line.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-476971-ftart.JPG (75.3 KB, 2 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 07:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One last gratuitous flex pic. Ok, so H8 isn't threatened by my SUA 4" lift yet, but who ever said that Pro-Comp springs are stiff? I still consider throwing more leafs in every once in a while.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-476974-ftart.JPG (75.3 KB, 3 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 09:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Looks good to me! My Jeep would be lost without a drawbar, does plenty of work around the farm, especially jockeying haywagons in the summer.
Took me awhile, but I whittled your pic down a little.

Grant
45 MB
60 CJ5
80 CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode