need a good rear bumper and spare carrier????????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 09:43 AM
sas87yj

need a good rear bumper and spare carrier?????????

i am ready to purchase these and wondering the best ones on the market for strength and design. i need to get a full size 32" spare and don't want the weight on my already weak tailgate. want the weight on the bumper i don't have. they just put those "bumperettes" on stock. give me a break! i took those off and am running w/o. i would also like a shackle or two for pulling. i don't plan on towing anything with my jeep so don't need a hitch recepticle. how about BULLETPROOF? i don't weld so i won't be making one. any recommendations out there?

steve
87yj,6cly,5spd,NP231,4.5"RE susp,1" body,SYE,CV,32x11.50MTR's,D30,D35posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 11:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: need a good rear bumper and spare carrier?????????

www.rockstomper.com Go to there products page and click on Bumpers. they make the best one i've seen. A swing out mounted to a bumper using a trailer spindle. They show a picture of there product installed on a jeep in the swung out position with a 35 in tire mounted on it and a hockey player sitting on top of the tire with 0 deflection. They will put shackels or what ever you want on the bumper. They cost around 400 for the set up. jim

(JEEP LAW) 4 modifications per application
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 11:46 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

http://www.rockstomper.com

WOW!! $400 plus shipping, plus $50 for reciever, plus $50 for shackle brackets and all unpainted??!!! Damn.... seems pretty steep.

I hope somebody has a better answer. Otherwise I'm gonna take that money and start welding in an upstairs apartment!!

DREW
IN2DEEP 78 CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 12:11 PM

Steve, I'm sure vikingg or me could build you a nice one. Man the shipping would kill though.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 01:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A better answer? Ok do like I did buy the spindle assembly from them $40, then have one made or make it your self. And if your finantually challenged you might want to mention that in your post as most top quality products are high cost. Making it your self or having one made locally will also allow you to rig a gas can and high lift jack set up. jim

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 03:04 PM
ArkyCrawler

http://www.younger-bros.com/ I like these guy's but like everything else you can make it yourself for less, the problem for me is,I can't weld.

83 CJ-7/chevy 350/44-20 with lockers/4"lift/33x12.5 swampers on hellcats/9500 ramsey. I'm in LOVE!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 03:33 PM
sas87yj

thanks jmannn for the website- i checked it out and will compare with others. i will say right now that i am not too much into the "tube" type steel. was thinking of going the "square" look. strength is a must though.

steve
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 03:37 PM
sas87yj

thanks dirtdog for the offer!
yeah the shipping is a factor for sure. i think my RE lift ran $100 or so from ca to az. if i had a welder and knew how to weld i would build one in a heartbeat. a lot of "ifs" hugh?

steve
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 03:39 PM
sas87yj

thanks arkycrawler for the site-
i haven't checked it out yet- see if this works.
http://www.younger-bros.com

steve
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 04:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Welding is over rated, I did'nt know how to weld or fabricate when I did my frame up. My friend let me use his garage and he had a welder, grinder, cutting torch, and a metal disc cutter. He would always tell me he would get to it when I asked him to weld for me, but was always to buissy. So one day I got pissed and grabed some steel and went for it. It was ugly, I started my tennis shoes on fire from to much weld rod, burned holes in my geans grinding off 1/2 inch over cut metal like a mad man trying to get out of the suit, metal blasted one of his windows black grinding again, smoked my brand new steel braded teflon coated break lines by grounding in the wrong place and shot sparks in the solvant tank for five minuts before I realized it and became 2 years older in a second. So if you print this out and post it in your garage you should be ok fabricating. Once you learn how to fabricate you,ll feel like a bald guy with a new bottle of rogain, you'll never stop making new stuff for your rig. You can get second hand fabricating equipment for about what it costs for a Quality custom fabricated swing out carrier with gass cans and high lift jack. jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode