cable locker???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 12:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

cable locker????

has anyone ever used a cable locker? do they work well? are they worth the $$$$?

69' Jeep CJ6, 225 v6 buick, turbo 400, dana 18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 12:36 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: cable locker????

Can't speak from experiance, but after reading a right-up on the new Ox locker, I'm sold. I had been sceptical about it and was planning to eventually get an ARB, but now, my sights are set for the OX (course that means I need Dana 44s first!)

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 08:39 AM

how much is it ???

any 1st hand experience?

thx
alfred

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 11:37 AM

no first hand but I want one baddddd!!!!

Chad

84 & 76 CJ-7's Give me a striaght six cummins diesel anyday. [email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 12:19 PM
Veteran

I just drove my new TJ off the lot 2 months ago. The jeep dealer I bought it from has its own 4x4 shop and I had a 4" Tera Flex long arm, 33x12.5" Wrangler MTRs on Eagle 589s, and an Ox Locker installed in the Dana 30 front to go with my factory True Track in the Dana 44 rear w/373 gears. I work at a quarry operation and have had a chance to try it out periodically. I am very satisfied with the locker. I will be putting one in the Dana 44 rear in the next couple of months. When I had the work done they had not released the Dana 44 version. The worst part of the deal was my new jeep sat in the custom shop for 3weeks waiting on the Locker that was on back order. There not easy to get your hands on. They run $650 for the Dana 30 and about $725 for the Dana 44. On TJs you will have to run the cable between the spring and tire on the drivers side. I had to use zip ties to attach it to the spring so it would not rub the tire. It has to be run like this because the cable is to stiff to turn inside the spring. The zip ties have held for 700 miles. Also, on the TJ the toggle lever has to be mounted on a lower portion of the dash, no enough room on the console. Will be going with dual locker rights in my 83 CJ because the price.

'83 CJ7 Laredo,258-I6,Weber 38DGES Carb.,much much more to come.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 01:38 PM

Coleboy
You didn't say if your putting in front or back but If your planing on putting in that front dana 30, I would'nt want to spend that much money on an axle that weak. I'd start with a bigger axle, but that may be your plan already(?). The two cable lockers I know of are very solid units, but the OX is about half the price of the McNamara. But you can get the McNamara for a D60.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 02:11 PM
brendan

What are the cable options for the OXLocker? I'd consider putting a 44 in the rear of the J10 so I could run one, but needless to say, 130 someodd inches isn't the typical cj wheel base! Do they sell custom length control cables, anyone?

Also, do you need to order the unit specifically for the front or the rear axle? Thanks, Brendan

Proud owner of the world's best running Carter BBD
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 02:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Im not really sure if Im going to get one or not W.C. I also dont know if I would run it up front or in the back. I just wanted some feedback so that I could have an idea of what they were like and how good they worked. I agree on the weak axle thing though. $$$$ is going to be a slight issue though. Is it hard to find good axles at the local junk yards.

69' Jeep CJ6, 225 v6 buick, turbo 400, dana 18
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 03:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i looked into this vs a detroit

649 starting price

[email protected],

schaan

1980 CJ7 77% completed
1969 Early Bronco 42% completed
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 05:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

DAMNIT!! I new I should of looked into this more before I went with Detroits. O well. There wasn't much info available at the time. Actually, there still isn't. Hopefully I'll be satisfied with my Detroits. But if not, I'll just swap the sucker in myself. Just got a new shop press. Any websites or write ups on this locker??

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode