Puzzled Over Front Blinker/Parking Light??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 11:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Puzzled Over Front Blinker/Parking Light???

Ok...I noticed that tonight my drivers side blinker with the parking lights on was hardly visible. When you turn the parking lights on that side is very bright while the passenger side was much lower in intensity. The bulbs are brand new though so I started looking at the wiring and what they look like when each is turned on. Here is what I figured out. Since you have one filament for the parking light and one for the blinker I looked at what filiment was coming on when. On the drivers side the low intensity filament was coming on for the blinker and the high intensity filiment was coming on for the parking light. On the passenger side it was the complete opposite *which I will assume is the correct way since you want the blinker to over power the parking light when both are on. I looked at the wiring and the plug would only go together one way. Now on the drivers side someone had spliced in a wire before the plug on the red wire *blinker* and spliced it in on the other side by the light. I took it off and the blinker filament would not work. I am going to assume there was a break in the wire somewhere that caused someone years ago to splice in this wire. But...that doesn't explain why the wrong filament is coming on with the blinker. The only thing I can think is that the wires before the plug *which are both white* were crossed when the plug end was put on. I guess I need to check the wires on the passenger side before the plug and see which one is the blinker and which one is the parking light. To fix it I am just going to cut reverse the wires to get the right filament going. Any thoughts on this???

David
Missouri

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 01:15 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Puzzled Over Front Blinker/Parking Light???

1. Check for the proper bulb in the sockets.
2. Check that the bubl is inserted properly.
3. Check that the socket's free of corrosion.
4. Check to see that the socket is poperly grounded to the grill.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 05:26 AM
Can't Get Enough

Had a ground wire corrode once.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 09:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bad ground, I had the same problem with a headlight once, the ground wire had rusted in two...

Shannon
78cj5 4.2
t176,dana300

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 04:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Be sure that the bulb is in correctly. I had a similar problem that had me boggled for weeks until I tried to put the bulb in the "wrong" way. Turned out the bulb would go in both ways!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 07:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I checked out the way the bulb went into the socket. It seemed like it would only go in one way last night when I was messing with it. The nubs on the bulb housing were at different distances from the end. I tried and tried last night and I know it would only go in one way. This morning I tried once more and it slipped into place. Must have been having a brain fart or something...something like a few too many beers!!!! Man it was going down good for as hot as it's been lately. Blinkers are all working now...just can't figure out why I dont have any reverse lights though?? Is there a switch for it somewhere??? Thanks...

David
Missouri

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 09:26 PM
Way Outta Control

Yes, there is a backup switch on the transmission...

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 10:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is the backup switch on the tranny the screw in plug with the wires coming out of it right behind the shifter linkage?

David
Missouri

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 10:42 PM
glennCJ7

I'll keep it short, yes.

Glenn

Build what I can, buy only what I must.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
82CJ7 Rebuilding again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode