Diesel fuel for vapor lock - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Diesel fuel for vapor lock

My Jeep vapor locked on me twice last week. I asked our mechanic at work about what to do and he said add 1 qt of diesel to the tank. Any body else have this problem and try this trick? How about a perminent fix besided adding an inline fuel pump.

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 04:17 PM

Re: Diesel fuel for vapor lock

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Do you have a 3 port fuel filter? That would be a good place to start. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Make sure to seperate any metal lines as far from the exhaust or other warm components as possible. Perhaps put some sort of heat shield between the hot component and the line. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I do have a 3 port fuel filter (1 in, 2 out). Is that bad? My jeep does have metal lines that come up and around the valve cover and come up directly into the carb. Is this another problem. I've thought about rerouting them, but there doesn't seem to be much of an alternate route. I have a 258 with headers and they blow off so much heat I can feel it through the floor and firewall.

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 04:31 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">My suburban had an issue with vapor lock on the 454 and it turned out that it was (at least partially) caused by a weak fuel pump. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] You might check to see that yours is putting out adequate pressure... I switched to an inline electric pump and haven't had any of those problems since...

The 3 port filter is good. Is the small port at the top of the filter? If not make sure it gets to the top. Upright or slightly angled so that it would direct any air bubbles that form up and out the small port. Is your fuel return line clear? That's what that 3rd port should go to, you might want to check that it's not plugged...

If it were mine, I'd try the inline electric pump (after double checking the filter and the return line), I picked one up from NAPA for $45 or $50 if I recall correctly (I did that a few years ago, no problems with it yet)... </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I'll try turning the fuel filter. Right now it is sitting with both lines flat across. I put a brand new mech. fuel pump in last year and it only has about 1500 miles on it. I know I should replace my fuel lines because they are starting to get old and look to be cracking and checking in places.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 07:55 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

You should also keep the amount of rubber fuel line to a minimum. It's harder for heat to penetrate the rubber, but once it's in there, it's pretty tough for it to dissipate. You didn't say if you had any rubber line, but it's something to look for when vapor lock occurs.

Best bet is to just get everything away from heat. I've heard of some people using old power steering coolers for cooling fuel lines, but that seems like a "band-aid" fix......

DREW
IN2DEEP 78 CJ5
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 01:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Also try some header wrap on your exhaust. It should drop the heat off the headers by about 40%.

Who needs a road...if there's a perfectly good JEEP trail somewhere else!?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 09:59 PM
Mud in my Veins

My pappy had an old motorhome w/ a 440 dodge. It would vapor lock everytime the outside temp got above 6o degrees. After numerous attempts by the "Dodge Boys" to fix it, he found a cheap fix. An old man (happened to be near on one of the last roadside cooldowns) suggested a strip of tinfoil on the fuel line and clipping wooden clothspins over that. 12 years later, it still hadn't vaporlocked again.

Caver Dave
Croc-O-$#!+
'67 Jeepster, 225 & 3spd
Vintage Jeeps(ters) have Character,
new Jeeps just have payments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode