grinding ring gear teeth for locker install? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

grinding ring gear teeth for locker install?

Im installing a lock right in my dana 30 (86 Jeep Cj-7), and the center shaft just catches the edge of the ring gear teeth. I have read that some have ground the teeth. Is this a joke, or something that wont do any damage? Im in the process of doing it now, so any info would be great. I just am too lazy tonight to yank out the axles and such.
Thanks,
TJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 12:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: grinding ring gear teeth for locker install?

I don't really have any idea on this. But instinct says that grinding the teeth on a ring gear isn't a good idea. I could be wrong though. I usually am[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 02:14 AM
Old Hand

There was an article in 4WD & Sport Utility by Randy Lyman (Randy's Ring & Pinion) on the very subject. He said not only is it OK, but sometimes it is needed and won't affect the performance. I think I remember the cross shaft clearance being one time it could be needed, but the grinding was not across the whole tooth. However, if by removing the carrier, and removing the ring gear you can get the cross shaft in, by all means, that is what you need to do.

I'll look to see if I still have it, but I don't have scanner. Anyone with the article and a scanner?

I had a wrangler that the cross shaft on the Dana 30 wouldn't come out without removing it all. It was a pain, but grinding the ring gear would NOT have been the way to get it to work. I think you are up against the same thing. Just remember to put all shims back the same way. Mark the bearing caps to get them in the same way. Use lock tite on the ring gear bolts.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

yea, that is the way Im going. I will have to pull the drivers side spindle, and then the carrier will be out. Being that I live on Air Force Housing, and its 1130pm, I didnt want to start pounding now. Anyways, the axle could use new seals, so its not the worst thing that could happen.
I put in a Mini spool in the rear, and I had to take the carrier all the way out on that also.
I was just looking for the easyway out. Complete disassembly is the way to go anyways so that I know the condition of the axle should there ever be a problem.

Thanks for the info though.
TJ

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 02:25 PM
Novice

I put a lock right in the front of my dana 30 and I just pulled out the carrier then pulled off the ring gear & installed the locker that way..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode