Extended my Wheel Base to 99"(wagoneer springs) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Extended my Wheel Base to 99\"(wagoneer springs)

I screwed up my driver side rear, main leaf spring, pretty baddly, durring some heavy footed, rock climbs at bald Mountain a couple of weeks ago. Actualy they were already, showing signs of heavy use/abuse after Moab.
So a couple of days ago I installed a set of of 6 leaf Rancho 2 1/2" lift, Wagoneer springs. I did no modifications to the rear shackle positions, but did use a set of my own 5/16 inch shackles with no cross support, to allow the springs to twist a bit easier. The waggy boingers moved my axle back another 2 1/2" to a total WB of just a hair over 98 1/2". The pig still clears the gas tank , but just barely(Ill know how much room I really have, after this weekend. I had to have my rear drive shaft lengthened,( I ramped it at a wharehouse loading dock, and only had about an inch of spline left when the front tire was 51" above level). I also had to make modifications to my anti wrap bar. Everything appears to work great though. Im gonna put it through its paces this weekend on the Rubicon. Ill o get some pics and, give the low down on performance when I get back.
99" of wheelbase, whats not to like about that though.
Later.

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 09:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Extended my Wheel Base to 99\"(wagoneer springs)

jeff.. wait till you swap in a d-60 or 14 bolt and you dont just barely clear anymore...but my 22 gallon tank has a nice "clearance dent" in it now and doesnt rub. i am at 98 1/2" also, but i had to trim the rear or the tub cause the tires were not centered in the wheelwells anymore.
another thought i have allways wanted to try was ford springs.. some of the ford truk springs have center pins that are off centered by like 5"..useing spings that are as long as they are would give the best of everything, but that another mod for down the road.. i have the springs though...

~~Elusive~~
http://www.jeepgod.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 02:42 PM

You know, I see new posts from Jeff with a mixture of emotions. The first is excitement, since he's out there doing all the stuff I can only wish for. Close on the heels of that is the "AW CRAP!!! That's just too cool where am I going to get the time to get that done?!?!"

Keep on wheelin'!

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 10:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i hope you have better luck with them than i did. i bent a leaf and broke another after only a few trips when i tried a set of cherokee springs. they were cherokee and not wagoneer and they had only 3 thick leaves compared to the 4 or 5 thinner leaves i have seen on the wags. i have heard of people having good luck with wag springs though so you probably won't have a problem.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode