Exhaust Fumes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 07:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Exhaust Fumes

With the top up, door windows open, side windows out, and back window up, exhaust fumes are being pulled into the cab area. Even with a bikini top I sometimes get fumes. The exhaust system is intact with no leaks. I realize that the air flow over the windshield makes the cab pressure lower and pulls in the exhaust, but I'm sure others have had this problem. This is an 89 4.2 with carb. which makes it stink more than injection. Any suggestions for a cure would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 07:54 PM

Re: Exhaust Fumes

the beauty of jeeping.. i am gonna guess that your exhaust pipe comes straight out the back. if thats the case, a cheap exhaust pipe tip will fix the fumage. go to your local parts store and buy one of the slant cut tips to throw on. angle it down and to the outside.. voila... no more fumes.. i.ve owned many jeeps, and they all had the same problem with the back open. 5 or 6 bucks, and no more headaches

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 08:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

thats right.. you want that exhaust to come out the rear corners... angled outwards... anything straight out the back.. will be sucked in... mine work great.. only time you smell it.. is when you sit still.. and the wind blows it in.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 11:23 PM
BMB
Veteran

Yep just got my new exhaust finished today. The fumes were one of the problems with the old one. The old pipe exited straight out the back with a slight turn down. If you rode for five minutes you smelled like fumes all day. The new pipe exits out the side, just about at the corner. Just on the ride home from the muffler shop I could tell a difference. I still get a little whiff, but it is only when slowing down and I think the air is not moving fast enough to pull the fumes away. Have your pipe run to the side I think you'll be much happier.
BMB

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 07:00 AM
I Do This For The Glory

There is a thread on the Zuk BBS about this as well, only they're mentioning running a hard top with no rear door.

Zuks have a problem when people cut the very end off the exhaust pipe, which normally runs out the rear and to the side.

Was your exhaust modified at the end at all, which would reroute the flow?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode