changing water pump on a supposed '83 258 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 11:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

changing water pump on a supposed \'83 258

hey guys,

does anyone know the difference between a 70's water pump and an 80's?

i was attempting to change the water pump on my 83 258. it is rumored that my motor may be a '77, but i am not sure. the previous owner put the rebuilt 258 in, and i have the reciept, and it says that it was an 83 motor. when i had the water pump replaced a few years back, the guy told me he couldnt get an 83 water pump to work, but one from a 77 fit.

i didnt know whether or not to believe him, so i bought an 83 water pump yesterday, and all the bolt holes lined up and fit great, until i went to bolt on the pulley. it bottomed out on the pump , apparently the impeller shaft is too short? spacing it out with washers doesnt work, it only provides an uneven surface for mounting.

JUSTIN

http://www.geocities.com/jeepboyjus
83 CJ7 258 T5/D300 4"lift locked AMC20 1pc axles 3.54
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: changing water pump on a supposed \'83 258

I had a similar problem. I pulled the 258 from my 1980 cj7 and replaced it with what was supposed to be a 1981 motor. I needed to use my pulley set up so when I installed all the pullies off the original - a lot of stull didn't line up. Same problem as you are having, the shafts on the two water pumps were of different length. Now when I need to mess with it I take the water pump in and match up the height from the mounting surface to where the fan mounts. I recall that it was maybe a quarter inch difference. So I guess what all this means is that there are at least two versions that bolt to the block ok, but don't fit otherwise. Take the one that fits to the auto parts store with you! John

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 04:57 PM

One other thing I can throw into the mix: there are certain pumps that are reverse rotation, that were used on Serpentine belt setups and/or on some of the later model CJ's with California emissions and smog-pumps. I had to take two pumps back cause they tried to sell me one of these.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 05:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i also had this problem.. its all in the water pumps.. take the old one in.. and measure it against what ever one they are trying to give you.. its a pain in the ass.. and as stated above.. check the fins.. make sure they match up with yours.. some can be reverse rotation..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 09:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks guys....

it is all set now. i took the old one back to the 'Zone and compared it to one from 75-79. that one worked. so apparently i do have a 75-79 motor. geez, you'd thought i would have ran into this problem sooner, since i have had this jeep for 5 years!

JUSTIN

http://www.geocities.com/jeepboyjus
83 CJ7 258 T5/D300 4"lift locked AMC20 1pc axles 3.54
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 09:32 AM
Can't Get Enough

I don't mean to complicate things... I had hydraulic lock(rain water and I think I broke a rod) in my '79. Replaced it with an '85. Everything on the front of the motor was set in closer to the engine. Short shaft pump, shorter pullys everywhere. This combined with a forward offset radiator and a deeper recess(compared to the '79) in the grill for the rad. was done to allow for a bigger fan and fan clutch. My $0.013652.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode