Centering steering wheel after pitman arm change? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Centering steering wheel after pitman arm change?

I've installed a new dropped pitman arm and there are some differences between the new and old. The old one was HUGE, beefy unit and it was clocked to one side slightly. The new one is from RE. As far as getting everything aligned here are the steps I'm thinking of taking:
- I center the pitman arm first by making sure that it swings the same turn of the steering wheel both directions
- crank on the drag link to point wheels straight ahead
- adjust steering wheel to center position

Are these steps correct? I started working on this yesterday and I still have a problem with the wheels hitting the steering stop early when turned to the left and the pitman hitting it's turn-end without the wheel hitting the steering stop when turned to the right. So what could be the problem? Pitman not centered properly or drag-link needs further adjustment?

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R, SOA and Ford 8.8 soon http://members.home.net/t.molnar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:37 AM

Re: Centering steering wheel after pitman arm change?

I had the same problem with drop pitman arms. I don't know that you'll ever get it dead on. The steering wheel is pretty much tied directly to the pitman arm once everything is bolted into place. You may be able to get a spline or two of movement out of re-mounting the steering wheel, but that's probably about it. What would probably work out is getting a Borgeson (or possibly Flaming River) steering shaft and installing it in an offset from stock that fits your needs.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 11:08 AM

Was your new new p arm keyed to only go on a certain way? If so, just grind out the key with a hacksaw blade and position it where you need it.
I put a dropped CJ p arm on myYJ and it was keyed differently, I was in a hurry so I just put it on. The wheel doesn't sit straight when the tires are pointed straight. The major pain is the point at which the blinkers do their automatic turn off thing after you go around a turn (it is based on the position of the wheel not the tires) so if I don't turn a really sharp corner the blinker stays on! i'll be grinding out the keys and repositioning it when i get a chance.

Did you ever get your 8.8" in Kut? I've got used calipers, rotors, and ebrake pads on the way to the house today! Shouldn't be much longer
big ed

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yes, both the old and new pitman are keyed but the new one is in line with the drag link hole while the old one was angled to the left slightly. It feels like something is binding or someting to one direction. Anyway, I have to have somebody steer while I watch what's happening exactly.
Regarding the 8.8 I'm right in the middle of it. Just finished the SYE and now I'm in the process of ripping out the stock rear and rolling in the Ford 8.8. It'll be fun to do it by myself but I'll manage. Once it's in I'll take the measurements for the CV shaft and it's off to Tom Woods to have it made. While I'm waiting for that the front end is gonna go under (the springs). Man, I can't believe it's actually progressing. I still have to finish hooking up the brakes, install shock brackets and shocks, make some rocker protection and finish tensioner for onboard welder. Huh!
Let me know how your's is going.

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R, SOA and Ford 8.8 soon http://members.home.net/t.molnar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode