Grand Cherokee shifting into reverse? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Grand Cherokee shifting into reverse?

Anyone hear about the problem with the Jeep Grand Cherokee? I was watching the news today and I guess that over 100,000 GC's from 97-99 are sometimes shifting into reverse for no reason. Pretty nice huh? I was hoping the report was on the Liberty having some MAJOR problem. But not yet;(

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44 w/Detroits and 4.56 soon to go in SOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 10:13 PM

Re: Grand Cherokee shifting into reverse?

shhhhhhhhhhh

its nothing JEEP wants to deal with
and for sure nothing MOPAR wants to deal with.

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:30 PM

I'm a technician for dodge & Jeep, we were talking about that today.There were Three of us all tranny guys. (i'm just starting tranny's, anyway) we figured this out.

-all the claims were made in california, no where's else.
-grand cherokees had a few diffent tranny's since first manufactured
- if the Jeep is off and in park and slips out it wont go anywheres
-if you run in the store and leave the jeep running.....here's a really werid consept: use the park brake. get it?? park.... brake????
(little humor there, down flip out!!)
we've had few problems with the grands, and when they do need repairs it's clutches, or other wear.

Chad

84 & 76 CJ-7's Give me a striaght six cummins diesel anyday. [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:55 PM

Hmmmmm...I watched the evening news and they reported that there were about 45 complaints out of 1.3 million ZJs and WJs in question.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 12:58 AM

It sounds to me like some left coast liberal lawyers are out to make some money where none is really due.

I can see it now. "Well... I moved the handle towards the P" DC should pay me millions because there wasn't a big sign on the dash telling me to put the emergency brake on."

I don't think I have ever exited a running vehicle without applying the brake. Am I a rocket scientist?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

BigHG
84 CJ7
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

You said when Grands do need repair, it's usually clutches or other wear. Um, I don't believe Grands ever came with the option of a manual, did they?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44 w/Detroits and 4.56 soon to go in SOA
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 05:22 AM
Old Hand

He's referring to the clutch packs in an auto tranny...

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 258/TR/TF999/D300 in Land Rover Country

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 05:46 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Yep sounds to me like the Audi scare of the 1980's, where they would supposedly just shift into drive and people would claim the brake did nothing but make the engine speed up. The final ruling, if memory serves, was people were not putting them into park, and they were mistaking the gas for the brake since the pedals were set more to one side and closer together than most other cars.

This GC thing sounds like fishing to me, and people want to make a quick buck. Someone on the ITOG (Isuzu Trooper Owner's Guild) BBS tried claiming his 2nd generation Trooper did something similar while traveling down the road, and caused him untold damages. None of us bought it. Heck, you can't even shift from reverse to forward while traveling backwards, it shuts the engine down as a safety measure to save the transmission (not that I would want to, but it's impossible to do a rollback in a newer Trooper). The Trooper also uses a cable system for shifting with distinct slots for the shifter, much like just about every auto tranny out there, and there are numerous safety interlocks that will override manual control to ensure that very thing doesn't happen. I'm willing to bet the GC has the same features.

If it was such a problem, why are we just now hearing about them?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 08:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

jamgood,

Yes, the ZJ's did come with a manual. A few were made as a base model in 1993. You can still see the clutch linkage hole through the firewall on the 1993-1995 bodies.

Who needs a road...if there's a perfectly good JEEP trail somewhere else!?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2001, 08:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My wife has a 98 Jeep Grand I would laugh my butt off if that would happen shift into gear as long as no one gets hurt, Just something to harrass her about because she can't drive worth a crap.. always hitting things.. heck she hit a parked car when she was parking in the wal-marts lot.. bad thing about it there was a guy sitting in the car she hit i just wanted to carwl under the seat.. dare not laugh my butt would have been sleeping on the coach...

Low Riders are for Boys that can't get it up!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode