fix frame without frame off rebuild? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

fix frame without frame off rebuild?

My cj7 frame is rusted around the rear spring perch area...is there anyway I can fix this without doing a complete frame off? I want to be able to leave the body on it when I fix it. I know this will not be a permanent fix, and I will be doing a frame off next year, I just want to try to fix it so I can drive it for a little longer. this is the only weak spot I could find on the frame. Is it possible to fix without welding? Thanks again, Ben

86 CJ7 258, weber carb, rusty but trusty!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 03:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: fix frame without frame off rebuild?

Gotta weld it, I'm doing mine on the drivers side rear now as well. I am building a brand new frame out of 2x4x3/16 wall tube, so I only need it to hold together for a year or so. I've had to weld several spots and actually broke the entire front of the passenger side frame rail in half above the axle while winching a rock I shouldn't have been... But I never had to take the body off. If you had to you could probably just loosen up a mount or two and raise it slightly for access. It's better to catch it now before it gets too bad.

Shannon
78cj5 4.2
t176,dana300

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

how bad is to bad? the pass. side has a hole about 2 inches long, and the driver's side is showing hairline cracks....Ben

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 04:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It doesn't sound too bad, but when you get off road and twisting back and forth, not too bad can become real bad quick.If you can get someone to just weld on a couple of patches to get you by, that would probably hold you till the frame off.

Shannon
78cj5 4.2
t176,dana300

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

how hard is it to get the spring perches off? some of the rust is right above them. will I need to take the rear axle out because I have to take the perches off, or can I just remove the 2 perches in front of the axle?. I will not be doing any hard wheeling, maybe some mud, until the frame off is complete, so there probably won't be that much twisting of the frame. thanks amcforme for the help!!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 06:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If the holes are just thru the inner piece of the frame, it's no problem, if they are thru the outer piece then you should do some patching. If you jack up the jeep and block it in place you should be able to leave everything else in place while you do the work.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 08:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I went out and looked at my spring perches, mine are welded and riveted, don't know if they were welded from the factory, the guy I bought it from has all kinds of really bad welds on my jeep, so I have to cut & drill mine to get them off, and no you don't have to take out the rear axle, just take off the front mount{s} and jack up the frame. That should give you the access you need when the axle drops. While your under there you should poke around with a screwdriver or something, see if you can find any soft spots, since you live in the rust belt like me.

Shannon
78cj5 4.2
t176,dana300

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 08:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Do a search on frame repair. I posted my repair on here about 6 months ago..

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

I was wondering if those plates from more would help at all? thanks for the help so far, everybody!!...Ben

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same problem on my CJ-7. I cut the spring hangers off and made a channel out of 3/16" plate and bolted thru the frame with some 3/4" carriage bolts then welded the channel to the frame. I channeled it from about a foot in fron of the hanger back to the cross member in front of the gas tank. Seem to be holdin up well. I also had to do the same to the back of the frame where the shackle hanger is.
good luck

80 CJ-7 SOA, custom SRS, locked D44's, 35" SSR's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode