Body Lift question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Body Lift question

Anyone out there have any suggestions on which 1" body lift to get? Let me know what kind of experiences you guys have had with yours good/bad/ugly.

And should I lift the motor has well or lower the fan shroud and transfer case shift levers after the body lift.

Thanks

Rob

The beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 02:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Body Lift question

I heard good things about that Daystar Poly lift that replaces the entire body mounts not just a puck to place on top of the existing. If I was going to do a body lift thats what I'd go for.

91 YJ Islander
Lots of Plans, Little $$$$
http://www.geocities.com/tbaker2000_ca
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 05:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i saw an article explaining the use of valve springs incorporated into the body lift. I thought it was pretty cool
cool enough that i will probably do the same thing'
to some extent

[email protected],

schaan

1980 CJ7 75% completed
1969 Early Bronco 40% completed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 08:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My friend just did a 1" lift on his YJ and he didn't have to do anything with the shifters just lowered the rad. One word of caution; soak, soak, soak those body mount bolts with a penetrating oil every night for a week. Use a can with a straw to get at the blind nuts in the back. He snapped one and a 4 hour job turned into 8.

It's a Jeep thing...my wife doesn't understand!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 01:40 AM
Pog

Well I hope you have access to air tools cause that make the job 150% easier. When I did mine all I had to do was remove my rad shroud and use a die grinder to modify my floor pan to allow me to get reverse, but this was a 2 inch lift. Oh ya don't forget the stupid mount at the front, I never thought to look there just plain stupidity I guess. Good luck

88 YJ Laredo 2" Body 31" Duelers MT MTX Sound Sys Just love fixing it every weekend...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 05:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I just ordered the 1" Daystar Poly lift the other day. I'll let you know how it works if I remember I don't forsee any problems other than stuck bolts. I'm just going to soak everything for a day or two and put some grunt into it. I don't have air tools

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44 w/Detroits and 4.56 soon to go in SOA
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 06:52 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I used the JKS 1.25" body lift. It's a nice lift, the pucks are counterbored on the bottom side to fit snug over the existing body mounts, so they don't slide around. I have heard that the daystar poly stuff will transmit a lot of vibrations up to the body, so I stayed away from it. Rubber is a better isoltator.

I only broke one bolt on my east-coast-salt-exposed 13 year old jeep. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Yes, soak the bolts all you can. Then, when you've soaked them all you can, soak them more. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Good luck
Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:08 AM
Old Hand

I used the JB Conversions 1" lift. It has been on for nearly three years and still is like new.

It uses Delrin pucks that have acontoured bottom for the original body mounts to fit in. They are slightly larger on top and spread out the weight a little better. They come with nice cadmium plated Grade 5 hardware including two new plated washers for the body mount under the grill that uses big fender washers. These are good to replace as they are a source for rust on the front clip.

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:22 AM
BMB
Veteran

I'm running the 1" Daystar and like it pretty well. I haven't noticed any vibrations or other ill effects. My fan shroud did not have to be moved or modified and all linkage was left unmodified. The tranny shifter makes a slight contact when ging into second, but I think that happens only when shifting hard. Instructions were not the greatest, but you should be able to figure them out in a few minutes. There was no indication to use a washer on the top of the mount like the factory , so I just left it off for now, leaving me with several extra washers. No torque specs were given, so I think I went about 20-30ftlbs. I have one mount that I over tightened and it has deformed the washer and bottom part of the bushing. I'm going to take it off and replace the washer and see if I can reform the bushing.

BMB

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Poly mount will transmitt more vibes, some say alot, some say they notice nothing. Poly mounts will not deteriate like rubber ones will. Poly mounts will not distort like rubber will, when they distort they will bind the body up.

I have a big problem with the alum. 1" body lifts. Dislike metals will corrode. Alum. and steel don't mix well. Especially in salt regions.

I have a glass impregnated block 2" body lift from Performance Acessories. I like it, so far. The blocks can break over time, and it uses the stock rubber body mounts. If I go SOA then I will get the 1" poly body lift.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green> & <font color=blue>'88 Grand Waggie</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode