Off Roading Forums banner

Oil psi gauge pinned!!

924 views 4 replies 0 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
When I turn on my engine the oil pressure gauge pins to the right. The engine is newly rebuilt so the pressure is fine, but even turning the key to the right pins the gauge. Whats the problem?

1987 YJ Laredo
Rylan D.

G
#2 ·
had the same thing happen to my new 258, found out that the old gauge couldnt take the new reading from a new sender and fried the gauge, went with a mechanical gauge and now it reads true pressure.

G
#3 ·
YJs use a different type sender/guage than the CJs. An open circuit in the sender is the usual cause on Jeeps '87 and newer. More rare is a broken wire at the terminal on the sender or a burnt printed circuit board on the guage cluster. If you ground the sender wire while the ignition is on, the guage should drop to zero or below. Unplugged, it will go to the top of the scale or higher. This is opposite of the earlier CJ/SJ guage. The factory sender is usually around $40. aftermarket ones are available for slightly less, usually.
If the guage doesn't react as above, the wire connector terminal is usually at fault, (before the cluster printed circuit board). Crimp a new one on to be sure.
Hope this helps, good luck!

G
#5 ·
If the open circuit is in the sender, it isn't repairable, replace it. Replace the connector on the wire if it seems loose, the wire sometimes breaks here. The wires being off of the choke oil pressure switch won't effect the guage. To repair an open circuit in the harness, run a new wire from the sender the the guage cluster connector behind the guages, if you can't find the cut/broken wire in the harness.
Hope this helps, good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.