258 Timing Chain - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

258 Timing Chain

Hi all,

When does one consider the timing chain to be worn? I've read posts in the past which said anything over 5 degrees play. Mopar says anything over 10 degrees and I've even seen 10- 15 degrees.

My chain seems to have 10 degrees play (5 notches on the timing scale on the engine) measured by turning the crank back and forth and watching the rotor on the distributor. Done this several times to make sure I had the correct measurement.

I am asking this as I don't want to unnecessarily rip the front of the engine apart.

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 258/TR/TF999/D300 in Land Rover Country

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Re: 258 Timing Chain

btt

Surely some of you must know what the limit is...

Hooch

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 04:55 PM

To be honest, I have never herd of checking the timing chain this way, It is usually measured with the front of the motor off by moving the slack side of the chain back and forth measuring the distance it can travel!

Rodney C
1985 CJ7,302 V8,T18,D20,SOA,Shackles Reversed, 35" BFG AT's, Fiberglass Tub & Front End...
1990 Samurai,87 drive line,SOA+2.5" Add-A-Leaf,4.16's,5.12's,33" BFG's Mud's,Pony Carb...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Well, this ain't too hard to figure out... Since the chain is responsible for correct timing and makes the rotor on the distributor go round, it figures that you can measure the slack by rotating the crank --> timing gears --> cam shaft --> distributor shaft --> rotor clockwise till the number one cylinder is on it's compression stroke and the timing scale at 0 degrees tdc. Now when turning the crank counter clockwise ,the chain will first take up the slack before it will start turning the rotor again, which you can then measure on the timing scale. Off course you will get the sum off all the slack of all the components involved and not a true chain slack measurement, but if you are fairly sure that the other components involved have not too much play, it will give you a reasonable idea of the state of the chain. Short of ripping the front of the engine apart to see and measure the actual chain, it is the next best thing to give you an idea... The Mopar handbook advises to remove the mechanical fuel pump so you can watch the cam shaft movement which takes a few components out of the equasion and gives you a slightly better measurement, but still not 100% true.

Hooch

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 10:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The timing chains that I have replaced on a 258's have been replaced because they begin knocking (chain slapping the passenger side) on the cover. It seems kinda common on engines with over 80K miles. PAW offers a double roller replacement which you may want to consider if you anticipate getting a bunch more miles before a rebuild. I am not sure if your has the plastic gear or not, but if it does, I would sure change it. My .02.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Well, I can't say that I can hear the chain slapping and I am also not sure about the actual mileage or whether it has the plastic gear. I suppose I better look into it, rather than wait. It can only improve matters...

Hooch

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 10:31 AM

with the oil pan removed, you can see the bottom sproket and reach the chain to measure slack.
oil pan is easy to remove/replace and like most 258s with age and miles, it probably leaks from there or the rear main seal anyay.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Well, that is about the only part that doesn't leak on mine [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img], so I'd rather leave it well alone... As a matter a fact, the only thing that leaks is the plastic valve cover. Gotta git meself a nice shiney ally one [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hooch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode