Off Roading Forums banner

Jeep Paranoia!!?!!

753 views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
I don't know if this is news media induced paranoia, or what!

Every Friday night my wife and I take our daughters (age 11 & 12) to the YMCA for "kid's night out". It's a chance for the kids to go swimming, hang out with their friends, etc., in a safe chaperoned situation, while we can go out to dinner or whatever. Anyway, one or both daughters usually invite a friend, and we give them a ride, too. Tonight, though, my wife is taking one daughter to a minor league baseball game, so I'm just taking one daughter (and her friend, or so I thought) to the Y in my '79 CJ5.

First, the other girl's mother (this is all 2nd hand, related through my daughter) said she can't go if the Jeep is open, the top has to be on. She heard somebody once fell out of a Jeep or something. Fine, it was raining this morning when I drove to work so the top was on. Then, turns out the mother doesn't want her kid riding in the Jeep at all, she'll meet us there. I'm not sure whether to feel amused, annoyed, insulted, disgusted, or what!

-Dana

Wernher von Braun settled for a V-2 instead of a V-8.

#2 ·
You better tell that mom that you once heard girls can get pregnant swimming in the same pool with boys /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif!
Probobly drove her daughter over in a Yugo anyway. Some people have limited cranial capacity, chock it up to that, or better yet, take her husband 4 wheeling /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Scott
'85 CJ7______T.H.O.R.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif"To Her, OutRageous"
/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif"To Have Off Road"

#3 ·
Well, long ago I had to understand the differnece between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is forigaveable.. while stupidity is forever. Never, never let anyone else dtermine your life. You give them too much power over your life. Shrug it off, chalk it up to the other person's lack of understanding and don't let it bother you. It ain't worth it. Just seek to clarify your position when ever you can.

Good Jeepin'

Larry

#4 ·
Yea...i think the Jeep paranoia is spreading.... one of my female friends begs to go wheel'n with me.....but her parents prohibit her from going....shes 18...go figure....they dont want her to go becasue one of her moms friends flipped a CJ5 back in the day trying to due a U turn at about 30 MPh.......stupid people give jeeps bad reputations to the rest of us i guess...

as alwasy...i blame everything that goes wrong on stupid people....

Greg

Jeep'n Greg
1985 CJ7, 258, t-5, d-300, fried clutch, leaky carb. :)

G
#5 ·
A couple of weeks ago, I went to pick up a girl for a date. So her dad sees the CJ out front (missing doors and top, I love spring), and forbids her to go. After 5 minutes of trying to convince him my seatbelts did work and I was a careful driver, he still says no. I go back home and put on the hard-doors, go back to Chickie's house and gain approval.
"Jeeps is dangerous." Most parents don't see the gobs of safety devices installed on my Jeep. I have 2 working seatbelts, that "Crap!" bar on the dash and the oh-so-safe stock "roll" bar. But I never take a 90 degree turn at more than 15 and I physically can't go faster than 60mph. It's the driver not the vehicle.
Basically, if I get in a wreck, I will die. I know it and as such, drive responsibly.

Ed

I live, I breath, I Jeep

#6 ·
Yea! Some people are paranoid! I know some people just like that. But to solve your problem, tell the mom to come and pick up your child and do the bussing gig. (Only if you trust the other driver, and they have a safe vehicle). Pretty soon they will start to trust the jeep, when there time and resources are being infringed upon.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)

#7 ·
i have actually rolled 2 jeeps...one was while i was 16..completely my fault.. i was going too fast around a corner(induced by ZZ top), slid off the road into a ditch and hit a tree..rolling forward in the air, landing on the hard top(i miss that hard top), then over sideways. if that was a car, the tree collision would have probably killed me. the other time was totally my fault also.. i was driving through 4 inches of fresh snow in a field, turned, caught traction, and rolled it.. i whipped out the hilift and drove it home....jeeps have full frames, and every jeep i ever own has a cage(except the 2 i rolled) i have been driving a jeep for 0ver 10 years.. if anyone thinks i am unsafe with others in the jeep.. are just plain wrong!!!!... I'd be offended.. but thats just me..

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net

#8 ·
I have a sister-in-law that is the same way. They were over at our house for a weekend visit last summer, beautiful day, when my son asks if we can drive over and watch the Green Bay Packers practice. (we live 2 blocks away) We--my son and my brother's daughter and son--jumped in the Jeep, because it had the top down and hey, you can see all the way around, and drove over. My brother knew where we were going, and he had no problem. Come back after driving around the practice field and sis-in-law has "the look". "I worried the whole time. I just don't trust those things". She who crashed the mini-van. My CJ has a full cage including a hoop in back because the kids go wheeling with us and I didn't feel right about no overhead protection for them. I put in shoulder belts for all 4 of us. Tied the bar to the frame. I think my sister-in-law and the mom you're dealing with just can't have fun. I wasn't insulted, I just blew it off as her being her. Take the earlier suggestion and tell her it's her turn to bring the kids to the "Y".

#9 ·
CJ-5s got a lot of bad press in the 1980s for an alleged tendency to overturn. Maybe that mom was thinking along those flawed lines./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

I have actually seen something similar to that happening to a Suzuki Samuri. The driver was not wearing a seat belt. While trying to negotiate a curved overpass entry ramp to I-95, the driver accidently hit the curb and the Samuri came to an abrupt stop. She was thrown clear of the vehicle, over the side of the overpass, fell about 20 feet to the interstate where she was struck and killed by a semi. Pretty bizzare; the Suzuki didn't have a scratch on it./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

G
#10 ·
My vote is: let it go. You're dealing with an ignorant b***h who thinks some inanimate objects are inherently dangerous regardless of who has control of them. Problem is, there are males (not men, really) who are deficient enough in testosterone to make the same error in logic. Meet her there if that's what it takes.

Myself, I probably wouldn't invite her old man out wheeling: he's probably whipped and woosie, don't you think?

Bone stock '81 CJ7,'96 ZJ.
"Will Rogers never met Bill Clinton."

#11 ·
What make it really bad is that these are the same people who vote to close all the lands because they heard 4WD tear up trees. Having we learn the people you cannot argue with or piss off are the religious groups, elderly groups and soccer moms

brownbagg

G
#12 ·
WOW!! and i thought i was the only person in the entire universe to have that problem, an old X-girlfriends parents had the same problem that she wasn't aloud to be driven aorund with the top down because her parents aunts someones baby who we being held inthe back seat by its parents hit a bump and the kid went flying and died, as if what they did was stupid but its like hello, shes big enough, sitting the front seat and has a seat belt on, and a full cage, then i showed her parents the sticker in the jeep that says the doors and top are for weather purposes only and not for safety devices and they shut up...oh well its a weird world and people have it in their head that if u even decide to touch or look at a CJ-YJ-TJ its gonna role and kill everyone and their brother....

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn

G
#13 ·
Hell my GF's dad wont let her near my Jeep w/ the top/doors on unless
1. it's raining
2. we're dressed up, and going someplace nice (great fun watchiing Valet's face when i show up, covered in mud, no top, no doors, and a shirt/tie.... hehehe)
3. We're gonna be out really late

Other than that...if my tops on, he MAKES us take his (an awesome lil flattie, on 36" TSL's) It's sooo cool.

The one bad thing is, she actually wants to be in my Jeep and roll it.... Yikes

BJ

"If you chose not to decide, you still have made a Choice" RUSH

#14 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I have always had a very low regard for individuals who talk without having the facts, and when it comes to vehicles, MOST do not know WHAT they are talking about. It is either an impression gathered from a lying liberal bunch of fakers like 60 Minutes, or the Klintunoid-liberal anti-SUV commies. What I do is send for a brochure EACH YEAR that makes liars out of these people and shuts them up for good. The brochure is called INJURY COLLISION & THEFT LOSSES, and it is available from SAFE CARS, PO Box 1420, Arlington VA 22210. This brochure rates every vehicle for injury, collision, and theft loss, and it will DEBUNK most of the urban legends out there as far as what is afe and what isn't. GET IT!! Keep it with you!!! Win arguments & bets! Blow your relatives away! Make your GF's old man eat crow! All you have to do is ask: "Is a Volvo safer than a BUICK CENTURY?" and the stupid, media-trained yuppie scum will of course answer that "Nothing can beat my Volvo." Then show them that the Buick is twice as safe, ten times cheaper to fix, and is NEVER stolen. I LOVE doing that to yuppies/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif...without a doubt the most gullible members of our entire society. GET THAT BROCHURE and start winning bets!!!!! You can afford more good stuff for your Jeep that way./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

#15 ·
Well, to end the story, I took her to the Y with a different friend..... we kidded and laughed with every bump and turn, "Whoa, almost fell out on that one /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif!". Paranoid mom showed up with her kid an hour late, never met her. My daughter says she's hyper-anti gun, too, and probably anti- everything else I like to do! I won't worry about it any more.

-Dana

A goverment that fears arms in the hands of it people should also fear ROPE!

G
#16 ·
A few years ago my son was ready to take the test for his first drivers license. We showed up at the Highway Patrol station where the state safety folks administer the test in our '83 CJ7. He was ready to go. The examiner walks out and asks him if the CJ was the vehicle he was going to take the test in. When my son says, yes it is, the examiner says "Well I usually do not give the test in a vehicle without a top. It is not safe." The Cj was bone stock with 30X9.5 tires. I had a tough time convincing this guy that the vehicle was not a death trap and was legal to operate on the road. Bottom line, he drove the Jeep and passed the test. He has had one accident in the Jeep, his fault - failure to yield. Did not leave a mark on the Jeep, but the other car was not a pretty sight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.