AX15 Swap not working out - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 02:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

AX15 Swap not working out

I have 88 Wrangler BA10. Swapped out for AX15 94 up external slave. Resurfaced flywheel, new pilot bushing, new clutch, new trhowout bearing and fork arm, new master/slave cylinder. Bolted everything together (t-case new input gear and JB Conver SYE) and the clutch does not release. Bled the slave three times (1 qt of fluid) and confirmed operation. Still depress clutch but it won't disengage. Sent back clutch for another one. Still no luck. I can't figure this out. Everything is new! When in gear with clutch pedal down, I tried to start Jeep and it want to surge forward. My clutch just won't disnegage! Any suggestions? Could the flywheel be different from 88 to 94? Would that matter? What type of donor vehicle can I get an automatic out of? Cherokee, Wranglers what years?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 02:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: AX15 Swap not working out

when I swapped out my tranny for the nv4500, I put in a centerforce clutch, and I had the same problem. my clutch was just sticking to the flywheel. I started it in gear, and drove down the road in 1st, I pushed in the clutck and gassed it.. then it broke free. (just make sure that you have a place to turn around if this doesn't work)

JR
'94YJ,4cyl,33SX's,Locked F/R,NV4500,Soon to come:Wagoneer 44 Scout 44 & spools
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 04:21 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Sounds like the pilot bushing is too long. My older brother had this problem with his T-18 swap, he put it all together and it wouldn't disengage. The input shaft was jammed into the flywheel so hard it kept it engaged. He took it back out and cut about 1/8" off the end, then put it back in, and it worked normally.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 04:47 PM

i have the ax5 in my wrangler, with the external slave. i had to bleed mine by unbolting the slave from the bellhousing, and manually pushing the rod back in. i hammered away trying to bleed it with it hooked up for hours. no luck. i finally broke down and read the book. that is what worked for me, however, mine was an older external slave. i have heard that the 94 and up master, line and slave are one unit, and are prefilled with fluid and cannot be bled. any one else know.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 08:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 94 up units do come prefilled, however I think it is still good idea to bleed them. They have a hole that needs to be drilled out (very small) and a special set screw that covers it up. I will try to drive it first to see if the first suggestion works. I know the slave is working properly because I have around 1.5" of throw. If all else fails, I will take another look at the pilot bushing. I just don't understand how that can effect the clutch disk. When I installed the pilot bushing, I seated it flush with the end of the crank.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode