Off Roading Forums banner

Need Jeep CJ7 Tranny Advice

552 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I've had a '76 Jeep CJ7 for a couple of years and suddenly the transmission started making noise. So I take it to a shop and the guy tells me I need a new tranny but he can't even tell me what kind it is!!!

Basically, I don't trust this guy and want to know where I can take it for a real appraisal from someone who knows what he's talking about.

I'm in the New York City area. Any help appreciated.

#2 ·
if its a 3 speed, it's not worth rebuilding.. if it's a 4 speed, it's a t-18.. one of the most desireable tranny's made for a jeep. if it's an auto.. it's a th 400.. not likely the th 400 would give trouble..they are very stout...take it to a tranny joint

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net

G
#3 ·
i just bought a cj5 with a t 150 in it and i think its about to go, noises in a couple gears, is it rally that ****ty of a tranny like you said? not worth rebuilding? i sold my cj7 with a t18 in and it was nice but i drive alot on the highway and such and like the range between the gears that the t150 has.
i have a 360 in my cj5 and this is the first t 150 ive deaklt with, should i junk the tranny or rebuild it? is it a decent ranny that will hold up to the 360 in front of it?
thanks
alex

#4 ·
For a highway tranny they're nice. He was just referring to the fact first gear is 3:1, not desirable off-road. They're a strong tranny, never heard of one dying, but then they get replaced so often they never have time to wear out. I have a few myself, just sitting around collecting dust, you can usually pick them up for $50 or so. Yes, it will hold up to the 360.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

G
#6 ·
I have a guy in Westbury, LI. He owns the Goodyear and is a member of the Long Island Off Road. He's a great mechanic and knows his stuff. I normally drop off my CJ in the morning (during weekdays) and walk to the LIRR train station and catch a train/subway to work by the WTC. He is also open on Saturdays. I have to take my CJ out to him sometime next week, if you'd like you can come with me and check out his shop and get a quote.

Check out his place on my website: http://www.conigli.homepage.com/jeep.htm

Good luck.

John

Cinqueg@aol.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.