How do you make lift shackles? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 11:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How do you make lift shackles?

I was just going through a Jeep accesorie magazine and i ran across some heavy duty lift shackles. From the picture they look really simple (actually they are). So what else do i need to know to make a pair? Like width,length, and how much lift can i get from these? Thanks...

Kyle

If you can't break it, Try Harder[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
79 CJ-7/304/T-150 I think/Dana20/No tires(yet)/rust[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 11:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How do you make lift shackles?

Well I dont have all the info you need, but its as easy as welding and cutting steel. I think you can safely get 1 to 1 1/2 in of lift, also I think you can get the greasable bolts from quadrateck.

(JEEP LAW) 4 modifications per application
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 11:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If you plan on making your own, go with at LEAST 1/4" mild steel. I would highly recomend a bolt in support brace (or weld in) to keep them from bending over though. If you can, use 3/16" for the side plates. I made mine out of 1/4" with a half inch of lift just to get me by until my Jeep is done. Then I can settle in the springs and see how much lift I will need to level out the front to rear. Some people put silly shackles (over 1" of lift) on thier Jeeps but I wouldn't recomend that if you are doing any street driving...it makes everything all [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]crazy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]! CJ's have 3" (bolt center to bolt center) long shackles. To make a shackle with 1/2" of lift, you need to add ONE inch to the stock length. ie. 4" (center to center) will give you a 1/2" lift.

Above is a pic of how I cut mine out at work on the Yag Laser. Everyone needs one of these to make parts with...wait til you guys see a pic of my twin stick shifter boot trim plate!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo,It's Orange! Now I just have to put it all back together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-471755-890yag.jpg (13.0 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 12:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did'nt know shacle lifts were a problem, I was considering a 1 and 1/2 to suppliment my 4 in lift skyjacker rear springs, I have a new custom swing out tire carrier with dual gass cans, jack and i'll be pulling a small 5x8 trailer. With all that and a 23 gal gass tank I'm loosing lift.

(JEEP LAW) 4 modifications per application
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode