Off Roading Forums banner

Shew, This is gettin expensive

422 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Well you guys probably remember me posting a few weeks back bout my new 80 cj 5 I bought. Well being that the frame and the body were in perfect shape, and it only had 39k orignal miles on it, I thought to myself man this Jeep is gonna be a gem. Well three weeks and many bloody knuckles later, im still finding stuff wrong. Its all little stuff, but this little stuff has already added up to over 500 bucks and thats with me doing the work. I guess thats what I get for buyin one that had sit for 10 years. Here is just a little list of what I have replaced so far. Gas tank, all fuel line, steering knuckles, water pump, all hoses and belts, the complete brake system, oil change, all new filters, and all bearings and seal in the axels. I swear everything that could rust from the inside or dry rot has done it. I dont think im ever gonna get to drive my new baby. You should see how dry rotted the tires are. Ewwww! Now I have to wait for my lift, tires and wheels, etc, til I get alloted some more Jeep Fund from the wife. The only thing good I can see about this is me saving money on gas driving a little Ford Festiva all over the place. I wonder if I could put a lift on it. I gotta get off road soon. Just thought i'd blab for a few.
Later,
Steve

#2 ·
Sounds like your doing some good stuff, I mean to say stuff that is needed for safety and reliability. Thank god that you haven't had to do anything major. I understand the wanting to get out on the trails with a new vehicle. I'm totally into the instant gradification thing myself, I want it now, later doesn't appeal to me. Anyhow good luck with the tinkering and I hope you get it out soon.

Chad

#3 ·
I feel for you dude. The wife and I bought a VW Cabriolet cheap, it was 10 years old and had 30K on the clock. It had BBS rims, 12 disc changer, Hella lights, was mint and drove well. Come to find out it spent it's life on Martha's Vineyard (aka salt water) and we found out in a hurry it wasn't a car for us (electrical system quirky due to corrosion). We wound up selling it outright within 3 months of owning it, even told the lady all about the problems being as honest as we could. She didn't care, apparently it was EXACTLY what she wanted so she had to have it. I know the feeling, it's the same with me and jeeps. The wife wanted another newer convertible (Cabriolet) and I convinced her to get a TJ, also being a convertible. Well, she fell for it and smiles as she looks down at the Cabriolets through the openings where the doors used to be. She also keeps saying "Kinda makes a convertible seem pathetic, doesn't it?"

I picked up a '71 Commando that had been sitting for at least 20 years (no joke, used to ride the bus past it in school). I bought it for $200, took it home, and it ran fine. I didn't drive it though, due to sitting, it needed all the seals replaced, bearings repacked, new brake and fuel lines, well, you get the idea. All in all it's worth it though, because you know it'll be new when you're done. The jeep will also be a part of you, it'll feel like a member of the famly when you're done.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

G
#4 ·
Jeepn's right. And don't forget that by the time you've got enough in it to get it going, you'll never be able to sell for that much, so you might as well keep it and fix and drive it!

I'm in your predicament. I bought a 74 CJ5. Replaced the gas tank, lines, all brakes, windshield frame & glass, seats, and all the other usual suspects. I bought the jeep for $750 and have put probably close to $2000 if you take into account the new wiring harness I needed..

Easy come, easy go.. Hey, its a Jeep! I love driving it every time I get behind the wheel!

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.