Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Tie Rod Ends?? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/77069-tie-rod-ends.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 07-02-2001 06:28 PM

Tie Rod Ends??

How can you tell if your tie rod ends are bad? I'm having problem with a noise. It a popping/banging noise. I get it when I make a left turn or go over a bump, speed bumps are killer. It sounds and feels like it coming from the front driver side wheel area. It feels like something is gonna fall apart. I've checked the make sure everything is torqued down. Lugnuts, lower control arms etc... I do have a problem with the tie rods holding grease, they leak pretty bad and look really nasty. Especially the one that goes ti the drivers side wheel. I'm going to chang them. Could this be my noise? Also how difficult are they to change? I'm not looking to get over my head. I've done a tie rod on my wifes Civic, I would think it would be easier on my Jeep..

If anyone has any other ideas, plese let me know.
Deatails would be great too.

Thanks.....

**DONOTDELETE** 07-02-2001 07:36 PM

Re: Tie Rod Ends??

I just had something similar, and mine turned out to be a loose tie-rod bolt and loose shock bolt.
Be sure you have checked all those connectors.
Usually you can tell if the tie-rods are worn by trying to wiggle your tire in and out by grabbing each side. If there is alot of play, it could be them.

<font color=blue>94 YJ [__] | | | | | | [__]</font color=blue>
4.0L, 5 speed, 30x9.5 BFG ATs, K&N air filter, tow-hooks, still working...

**DONOTDELETE** 07-03-2001 05:08 AM

A good idea is to check your track-bar bolts and brackets. If the bolt loosens up it will cause that snapping, otherwise it could be your tie rod ends being worn out.

97 Tj, 10" suspension lift, 38.5 SXs, 4.0, "flipped" dana 300. 44F/60R axles.
Locked up and Armored

**DONOTDELETE** 07-04-2001 07:13 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out....

97 TJ 4.0 Pretty Stock, But In The Works.....

ozarkjeep 07-04-2001 08:15 PM

every Xj with over 5000 miles on it that Ive ever ridden in makes that noise, I think the bushings in the track bars go south really quick.

and assuming the TJ has a similar setup, thats where Id look.

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."