Do y'all like Dana 44's? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 06:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do y\'all like Dana 44\'s?

When I build stuff I like to do it right the first time. Do you guys think Dana 44's front and rear can handle 38" Hawgs? I am usually pretty easy on the peddle because I don't like to waste gas. But when it comes to bringing cute girls muddin'... I'll usually give it a little more gas! I plan on running a detriot in the rear and an ox locker in the front, with 4.88 gears. I already have the axles which is why I'm trying to use themn instead of going to D60's. What do y'all think? BTW I have a spiced 360, TH400, and D20 xcase.

If the South would have won life sure would be easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 06:41 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Do y\'all like Dana 44\'s?

My buddy has a full size bronco with a 44 up front with an arb and 38" swampers. He broke 1 ujoint in the 8 years that i've wheeled with him.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 06:48 PM

My D44 has always been reliable in the past. But since I installed the 5.0 Cobra mill, the Jeep has been on a steady diet of 297 U joints. I have elongated all 4(2 inners and 2 outers) of my high strength shafts at the yokes due to exploding joints. I have also destroyed both of my spares. I just picked up 2 complete assemblies today, and am getting ready to assemble them with new joints. The only joints that can even stand a chance of surving, if you get rough on them, are the Spicer non greasables.
I would sell the D44 and go to a D60 if your real aggressive with either your driving style, or trail preferences.
I am only running 36" SX tires. In fact I have held off on installing 38" untill I can get more durability from my front axle. Its a pain in the ass having buddies constantly wait, while Im swapping out axle shaft assemblies, I am getting the routine down to Pit Crew efficiency though.

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 07:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They will hold-up pretty well in the mud, if you grind the yokes and use full circle snaprings they will last alot longer. I'm running 38" boggers on a 44 ft. and it's not holding up when I'm really hammering on it, I'm running a big block chevy with welded spiders, and I can drive it hard, but, I have to replace the u-joints every few days of hard use, if I hammer on it I can break it right away.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 07:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60
i like the dana 60
i worry not of axle breakage.

~~Elusive~~
http://www.jeepgod.net
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 07:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yea,yea,yea...I got a wad O cash in my pocket and I'm trying to get ahold of my buddy who has all the 60s, I want to get mine in my hot little hands, before I do something stupid (like pay my taxes) with the money...

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 07:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Like was said before it all depends on what you plan on doing with it. If all you do is mud the 44's will probably hold up fine. My brother in law runs 38 swampers with the stock d30. Now he only has a 6 banger and stock gear with a lockright. But he has yet to break a new ujoint. He broke both of the orginal ujoints the first time out with the locker. When we took them apart they rusted badly. If your in rocks you better listen to dirtrod and elusive cause i got no clue.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 08:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, all I do is mud and sand. Here in Pensacola, FL we don't have too many rocks. I do a lot of trail riding too through woods on my hunting camp, but no rock crawling. The funnest thing to do around here is creek ride. We drive upstream on a 8mile run through sand and rock covered bottom. It is awesome! About how hard is it to change a u-joint, I have never done it before? And how much do they usually cost? I really appreciate all your help, thanks!

If the South would have won life sure would be easy.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 08:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You will never and i mean never have a problem in your terrain. If you wanna know where h8 is coming from look at anything involved in his past pic posts. That guy is an insane rock crawlin madman. I love looking at it but I don't have disposable income such as he with the "INDUSTRIAL JEEP". I have run 35's with a built to the hilt 304 spinning at 3-4k rpm through everything in the SE on a stock 30 and amc 20 w/mosers'. As long as you aren't climbing a rock mountain where traction is king, no worries.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 08:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i dunno where in the SE he's been, but i broke the hell out of my d-44 front and bent my moser shafts. the d-44 front does sound like it wolud do fine for what you are using though.. and the u-joint replacment gets easy(under an hour) after a few times..the u-joints are cheap, but when they break, they usually take the axle shafts along with them. then you are SOL without spare axles

~~Elusive~~
http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode