Off Roading Forums banner

ignition

375 views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Okay, here is what I got.
I have an 86 CJ-7 that the ignition seems goofy on(non-tilt steering column). when the battery is connected everything is on. So I checked the wiring and it was all good. I pulled the lock cylinder out(took the steering wheel off and disconnected the turn signal switch) and I noticed some things missing, like the steering wheel lock plate. When I tried moving the rack gear that the lock core slides up and down on that actuates the ignition switch, I found it would only roll to the start position and return, but it will not return to the accessory or off position. It jams up and I cannot turn it back. In fact I have no way of getting it off of the "on" position. My guess is that this is why when the battery is connected, the whole thing comes on - because the switch does not turn off.

Do you wisened jeepers out there think it is due to the linkage to the switch, the switch itself, or something I do not know about. Any advice on where I should turn to or look at?

Thanks,
Dave

#3 ·
I had a friend with a car that did exactly the same thing you describe, and it turns out it was a recovered theft...
When the thieves jammed the column to start it, they bent the rod, and some of the linkage.
We had to do almost all new linkage, switch, and lock cylinder before the thing started working correctly.
The turn signals were also screwed up, because that's where they pry their way in at for one reason or another.

As for the missing parts, That may be where someone tried to fix the thing already, and didn't get everything put back together correctly.

All of this is just speculation on my part, so take it for what you paid for it....
Good luck, Aaron.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"

G
#4 ·
The recovered theft thing sounds right, the area around the cylinder is smashed open on the column housing and the cam gear on the cylinder has 2 snapped teeth.
The steering wheel lock was broken at just the right spot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.