Off Roading Forums banner

Motor Swap

800 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jeeper2 
G
#1 ·
Looking to swap out my 258 in change of a V-8
(have a sound like a valve tap at 105K miles)

Was wondering what will be the best bolt in replacement and trans /x-case install
for the buck

Now I have a 258 with a T176(input shaft bearing is spent) and the Dana 300 x-case
Have the knowledge, but limited resources

Once again, thanks to all for your input

Chu
YJ-7
HEI, 32/36, Centerforce,
Alum. cover, etc...
Yankee Toys
EC4WDA

#3 ·
just bolt in an AMC V8, what ever size you want

full size Jeep trucks came with 360s and T176 trannys, and its reporte to be a pretty stout tranny.

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

G
#4 ·
v8, 304 360 you can use same clutch, pp, tob and bell housing as you have now. Make sure to check pilot bushing is correct, because if she has slack old v8 will will get bearings in tranny, been there done it!

BRADCO JEEPS

G
#5 ·
The T176 is cheap to rebuild, comparatively, and the 360 swap is easy! Search back on this board for 360 swap info, it all bolts in. A Ford 5.0 would fit your trans fairly easily, but would require aftermarket mounts.It is very important, no matter which engine you decide to swap in, to get every piece of the accessories possible from the donor vehicle. (Alt, p.s.pump, smog pump, carb air cleaner, vacuum harness, brackets, pullys, belts, hoses, throttle cable, etc., etc., etc.!
Hope this helps, good luck!

#6 ·
As always the simplest/cheapest swap would be to buy a V8 jeep and steal as much as possible. Along the same lines, a 5.0 Ford will bolt up to your tranny. Go buy you a late 70's F150 (with 3 speed manual trans..... you will need bellhousing) and borrow/modify everything to fit. It's really a straight forward swap. As far as motor mounts go... I used mustang engine mounts and made my own bolt-in frame mounts. If you don't have any fabrication abilities/facilities then go with the factory options. Jeeps are made for swapping!! Pretty much any engine/trans will swap in front of xfer case. The cheapest being a factory option.

IN2DEEP 78 CJ5 302 FORD T176/D300 35" BFGS

#7 ·
Do a search on this forum (look for link at top) and look for "360 Swap Guide"

It pretty much covers the AMC V8 swap. Your in luck, 'cause your t-176 will handle the 304 or mild 360.

Good luck,

If I was a horse, they would have shot me years ago... /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.