CJ steering - phase 3 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

CJ steering - phase 3

Okay, I'm back to fiddling with the steering on my CJ-7 again. Since the day I bought it 2 1/2 years ago, there's been a klunk at low speeds when turning (parking lot type stuff) that I've been unable to track down or duplicate with the Jeep parked as well as some steering slop. Phase one saw a new drag, tie-rod and tie-rod ends which seemed to do the trick for the klunk until a couple of wheeling trips. Noticed the klunk again and replaced the tie-rod ends again (the others turned out to still be good, though. Phase two was a MORE steering box brace a few months ago...still klunking. Got a Borgeson shaft on Friday. Is anybody running one of these that can give me some pointers on the install? Looks like I've got some grinding to do on the steering column & box shafts. Also, I think I have a u-joint going bad on the passenger side...noticed some sporadic squeaking from it the last time I had it in 4WD...would the klunk be consistent with a bad u-joint? TIA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 12:00 PM

Re: CJ steering - phase 3

I have a steering clunk also, turned out to be the passenger side leaf spring shifting ever so slightly. I'm living with it, but it is pretty dam loud. Just a thought to throw at ya.

'84 CJ-7, 4.2, 3.5" Lift, 31's, YJ tub, TR upgrade, Moser 1 piece, LED's.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 12:41 PM

Hey Jeepskate,

I'm running the same setup on mine. You shouldn't have to grind anything though. When I put mine on, it was a little tight, but not undo-able. What I did was to part the shaft at the center, mount the lower collar on the steering gear some light hammering here (be careful not to mushroom the end of the shaft). Then put the shaft back together and mount the top collar. Expanding/collapsing the shaft can be a bit of a pain, but again, it's do-able.

I've done this setup on two CJ-7's now, and it works great on both as far as I can see.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 01:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm kinda reluctant to reply but I have heard of a similar situation on both Jeeps and FS Ford PU's. When at low speeds particularly when turning the wheels from one extreme side of it's travel to the other the springs shift within the spring packs and give you a clunk sound. The clunk is usually caused by the rear mount, the spring perch, if you have not done a shackle reversal. Also the sway bar can shift it the bushings are really worn. I don't think tightening the U-bolts help. I've been told Ford put oput a notice to their dealers that it was incurable on their F250s that have this problem. Please let us know if you solve it. Hope this helps.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 01:36 PM

That's exactly where my noise is coming from.

'84 CJ-7, 4.2, 3.5" Lift, 31's, YJ tub, TR upgrade, Moser 1 piece, LED's.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I installed it yesterday morning without any grinding and just adjusted the drag link to re-center my steering wheel. Still have a little slop that's probably in the box, but the handling is definitely much improved.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode