NP435 conversion??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 10:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

NP435 conversion???

Yesterday, I bought a NP 435 {Ford version, with 6.69 first gear}, for a $100, I am going to order the Advance Adapters kit to mate it to my Dana 300. So, have any of you guys done this swap, & if so is there anything else I'll need or have to modify while I'm under there with everything apart??

Shannon
78cj5,4.2
t176,dana300
soon to be np435

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 08:16 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: NP435 conversion???

Novac has the adaptor for $470.00.
I am in the process of collecting parts to put one in a YJ. Novak also makes an adaptor that may be a little cheaper than the AA kit. I talked to them today and they were more than willing to answer my questions even though the NP435 to NP231 kit is still a month away. Give Eric at Novac a call @ 435-753-2513 http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_433.htm

"Honestly, I didn't lift the Jeep.
I,um..ah..lowered the axles"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 10:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you'll need to get the pilot bushing due to the difering size(amc outer diameter,ford inner diameter).you'll have to cut a new hole in your floorpan cover for the shifter.you'll have to modify your tranny/transfer crossmember because the tranny is rather large.I cut a section out of the front of mine so that I could keep as much ground clearance as possible. you'll probably have to bend the shifter so that it will clear the dash in 1st and any console you may have in reverse. I don't recall any other issues involved in the swap. good luck.
James

82cj7,258,np435,weber,hei,rhino lining
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 11:28 PM

Definitly a pilot bushing as the NP input shaft was shorter than a my SR-4,the pilot sits in the outer bore of the crank to make up the difference.
Depending on what you are replacing you may need a new clutch plate I believe it is 1 1/8 by 10 spline while the sr4 was 1 1/16 by 10 spline.
NO Excuses in New Egypt ,New Jersy had the AA adapter for 100.00 cheaper than AA plus they are the ones to tell me about the clutch plate .They were very helpfuland the adapter is dropshipped from california AA.They advertise in most of the 4 wheel drive magazines.
I also needed to have the holes on my bellhousing heli-arc welded and redrilled as they were too close to the old holes to just drill and tap by eye and I didnt think it would be strong enough.
I suspend my engine from a 2x4 run from the grill to the cowl since the 258 tilts back quite a bit when removing the rear support skidplate,and comes very close to putting the fan through the radiator,and makes it somwhat easier to align the trans and engine when installing ,Plus you can push the jeep back to clean up any spilled fluids.as opposed to just jacking the engine up on blocks.
you may or maynot want to modify or buy a new adapter for the transmission mount AA also has one of those ...I modified my old torque arm ..it was no picnic.much easier to buy the one they sell.
I have done it twice so far it was no fun either time the first time was my first time replacing a transmission the second time was to fix my screw ups from the first.If I have to do it again I will cut the transmission tunnel out of the body and use a come along to drop and raise from a chain across a beam in my garage ,this is how I did it the second time but did not cut the tunnel....YET.
I had planned on removing and installing the trans and T-case as a unit but they are VERY HEAVY alone together prety unmanagable especially since the D-300 is off center weight.and tends to torque the set up to the side .
Have a few jacks and a few ratcheting tie down straps came in handy.I also had a transmission jack but trying to lift the NP on it was a real challenge thus the comealong. A good supply of cleaning fluid (Brake parts cleaner works very good)Clean rags ,speedy dry,and patience ,A little luck helps a whole bunch too.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 09:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna go with the AA kit cause I can get it in Canada for $649 ca.+tax & shipping {$773ca. total}, from Ontario RV. The kit is $505 us. and if you do the math that is $777 ca. + taxes & shipping, with current exchange rate. I was in contact with Novak, they don't have a Canadian distributor yet, though they want to set one up soon. Their kit would cost me $723 ca.+ taxes & shipping. So, surprisingly we can actually get something cheaper here, all you guys down south should drive up here to buy your adapters, if you are close enough to the border!!!

Shannon
78cj5 4.2
t176,dana300

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode