Off Roading Forums banner

one-piece how-to

358 views 1 reply 0 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Does anybody know of a homepage with a step by step on installing one-piece axles(preferably Moser)? Thanks...Dan

G
#2 ·
I do not know of any pages with directions, but have put 1-piece moser axles in my 83 CJ-7.

1. Loosen the lug nuts on both rear tire's
2. Jack up your jeep and put jack stands under both sides. Make sure to use jack stands. You do not want the jeep to fall on you. Remove tire's and Wheels.
3. Remove rear differential cover and drain fluid. This is easier once the tire's and wheel's are removed.
4. Look on the inside of the Brake backing plate. Remove the brake line's. Remove the rubber grommet's. Take two small screw drivers. One to hold the brake back out clip out and the other to turn the round sprocket looking gear to back the brake pads off the drum. Remove brake drum's. This maybe somewhat tuff if they have been on the jeep for a long time. I used a big screw driver and a small crow bar to pry mine off, go around the drum. You may also want to use a hammer to hit around the drum to break up some of the rust before prying on it.
5. Remove the brakes. A brake tool is very helpful.
6. Remove the axle nut. Remove the outer axle piece. I rented a puller.
7. Remove the 4 bolts in the back plate.
8. Remove the axle. I could not find a puller anywhere and it took me two days to figure out how to get the axles out. Here's how I got them out. I put the outer axle piece back on and used a car jack from a small car. One of those jack's that is only about 2 to 3 inches tall when cranked down to fit in the car. I wedged it between the outer axle piece and the housing. Crank the jack very slow and stand to the side. My axle popped out and would have hurt if it had hit me.
9. I took my Moser axle's to a machine shop and had the bearings pressed on. Cost was 8 bucks.
10. Reassemble in reservoir order. Do not forget to fill the brake fluid reservoir and to get someone to help you bleed the brake's. I used this order to bleed the brake's. Passenger rear, driver's rear, passenger front, and driver's front. Make sure to fill the reservoir after each line.

Let me know if any part of this is unclear or you have any questions. It is easier than it sounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.