torches - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 08:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

torches

I'm amassing my tool collection on a job-by-job basis. For the job I'm doing now (replacing my rear shackle hangers), I need a torch. Don't they have those smaller, back-pack style torch kits? What do y'all recommend for a small, home-use general work-on-jeep-stuff torch? And where do y'all get your gas refilled?

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/cobra, M.O.R.E. shackles, 1/2" steel bumper, 1" body lift and lots of ideas!

'96 ZJ - 4.0L/42re/np242/optima/cobra and other goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 08:20 AM

Re: torches

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Those smaller cylinders don't last very long at all... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Might be long enough to get the project done but in my opinion at least it'd be a pain to constantly be running back and forth from the welding shop (to refill the tanks) and back... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 08:27 AM
Enthusiast

Right now I'm renting my tanks (the large cylinders) and have been thinking about buying a set of the small cylinders, the big one are a real pain to try and move around. How long to the really last, any idea on cutting time?
How much is everone else paying to rent their tanks?
I think I'm paying $8/month for the tanks + refills...

Luke
'77 CJ7 SOA Chevy 327
http://www.cj7jeep.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 08:28 AM

look at your local hardware and farm stores for a oxy-acetylene kit with torch, regulators, hose, and accessories. should be around $50-$75 for one of the smaller ones. i'd get something name-brand so you can easily get parts. you can then either buy or rent tanks. i prefer to buy my tanks so i don't have to worry about monthly billing. the way i understand it is you "own" a set of tanks, but they still trade them when you get them refilled. i'm not sure on the capacities, but the acetylene is about 30 in. tall and the Oxygen is about 48 in. tall. make sure you turn off the valves on the tanks when finished or they make leak. hope this helps! matt

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 08:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have the small portable tanks and they suck to have to fill up all the time. they are nice because they are easy to carry other places though.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 05:12 PM

Here is the set up I bought earlier this year. It ran about $400 including gas out the door from the local welding shop. I was able to do my front air bumper and cut up a whole mess of practice stuff before I had to refill the oxygen bottle. It is not to large and came with the cart for mobility. Good size in my opinion for a shop with limited space.

BigHG
84 CJ7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-471205-torch.jpg (32.4 KB, 0 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 07:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the help. And thanks for the pic, BigHG. I'll swing by a local welding supply shop, and then compare to Sears and Home Depot. I hate when a simple project is held up by lack of proper equipment.

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/cobra, M.O.R.E. shackles, 1/2" steel bumper, 1" body lift and lots of ideas!

'96 ZJ - 4.0L/42re/np242/optima/cobra and other goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode