A New Guy - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 12:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A New Guy

I have been reading this forum for a long time now, but am just now staring to post. I am in the process of building my '79 CJ-7 right now, so y'all are gonna have to help me a lot. I have been working 45 hour weeks for 6 monthes now so that I can have enough money to put into my Jeep. I work at the finest tackle shop in the Pensacola, FL area; Gray's Tackle and Guide Service. So if anybody needs fishing advice, I'm your man. I know a good bit about trucks, specifically Jeeps, so don't be afraid to answer with "technical" terms. I grew up mostly in Africa wheelin' on Landrovers and Unimogs, my dad taught me a lot about trucks from working on his on the trail. Basically, all I think about is Jeeps.

Anyway, expect to here a lot from me in the next few years. Let me give you the low-down of my Jeep. It is a '79 CJ-7 with an AMC 360. 650 Holley carb. w/ Edelbrock intake manifold, and cam shaft. I recently bought a TH400 out of a Wagoneer for dirt cheap, it is in awesome condition considering it was built in 1998. Now I have to see if it fits.

I also bought a '79 International Scout II that runs great. All the parts are in good working order. I plan on using the Dana 44's out of it. **If you need Scout parts e-mail me!** With the exception of the axles, everything is for sale.

Anyway, I have a question. I have read a lot about the Super Swamper SSR's but could only find one actual review. Are y'all who are running them getting good mileage? I know they are supposed to be quieter and smoother and stuff, but I really don't care about that. How long are they lasting? I have also considered Ground Hawgs, because of there good wear characteristics. I go muddin' every weekend with my buddies so I need a good off-road tire, but also have to drive to school everyday. I know there is no perfect blah, blah, blah,... but what do y'all think?

BTW, if anybody needs help in the Pensacola area building a Jeep, go to Austin's Auto Accesories, they are very helpful. I think I have seen Casey post here before, anyway just letting y'all know that they have very good customer service.

Thanks a lot,
Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 02:29 AM

Re: A New Guy

Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like youve been around the block a time or two.
What is the wheelin like in Africa? is it pretty much just a utilitarian chore, or are ther organized events and runs. Seems like there would be some awesome trails if someone went looking for them,.... although a thousand miles in the middle of nowhere might make for some logistical difficulties.
Anyway, about the SSRs. They are a good traction tire, but I didnt notice any stellar street performance. At least they dont flatten out overnight like Bias Plys do, sometimes, I swear the SX feel like they are square, first thing in the morning.
The biggest problem I had with the SSRs was, there very vulnerable sidewalls. They just did not take abuse well at all. I had 5 sidewall punctures in about 6 months, thats more than I have had in 6 years using SX's, and boggers.
I personaly would not recomend them, and I will never run them again, its to bad too, because like I mentioned, they perform pretty well on the trail.

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 04:27 AM
Way Outta Control

Welcome to the form... Ah.. Landys and UniMogs, two of my favorite rigs. I want a LR FC101 so bad I can taste it and a UniMog.. that's dying and going to heaven with out the dyin' part. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from your posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 10:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I apreciate your help on the SSRs. Wheelin' in Africa was awesome. But VERY dangerous. We used to go with groups of four when we went for fun. But when we had to go offroad to go to our destination, I got nervous. EVERY vehicle was equipped with a front and rear winch though, and we never got stuck in a situation we couldn't get out of. I do remember one time though when we hit an old anti-personnel mine. It just blew fire all over the hood of the truck. Luckily it was a company unimog, and this was only two miles from our house. Again, thanks for your help with the SSRs.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 04:54 PM
Can't Get Enough

Welcome...
GET THE HAWGS>>>
We had a mud race last weekend and the hawgs went further than the boggers. I know this may be hard to believe. When I left only one truck completed the track, he also had hawgs.
Just my $.02
Ricky...seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Scout D 300,Pro-Jection,Dana 60's,Detroits,38" Hawgs, 4" BDS SOA,
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 05:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think that is what I'm gonna do. I have heard a lot of good things about hawgs from www.pyt.org. I appreciate your help, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the ground hawgs.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 06:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Big jeep welcome from LA, hey by the way I have a 78 CJ7 360 turbo 400 and the turbo 400 vacume advance aint vacume advancing. Does the vacume advance line from the transmission just hook up to the intake vacume T or is there some valve or something thats mounted to the manafold?? jim

(JEEP LAW) 4 modifications per application
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 08:00 PM

Welcome. I run hawgs too and they wear like iron but if they ever wear out I'm buying a swamper or bogger. Just my .02. Man.....talk about your tough wheelin........we usually don't have to worry about land mines here.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode