46 willys spring over - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 10:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

46 willys spring over

my 46 has a spring over done to it and is difficult to handle at speeds above thirty, i mean pretty damn scary at times especially with approaching traffic. i just replaced the rear springs which were pretty jacked and my next project is the front springs which are just as jacked. will this help fix some of the steering issues in anyone's opinion? i'm really hoping that the camber isn't the problem because that would be a real pain in the ass to repair. also the power steering that came with the g.m. small block in there makes turning those 35" tires almost to easy. might that be a problem too?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 11:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 46 willys spring over

I don't have a flatty, but my CJ5 is about the same wheelbase. Doing a spring over on these older jeeps are just scary. The short wheelbase just can't take the speed. Åt slow speeds and on the trail it would be fine, but on the road the feeling is bad. I have seen a couple of older jeeps sprung over down here, but they were mostly off-road strictly vehicles. I do have the same problem with the quick pwer steering. I got a wagoneer box, with has a tighter ratio and if i make a slight move on the wheel it turns. I live with it and don't drive that fast. You could change boxes with a different ratio, but i don't know what is a available with other applications. I learned to just relax with the jeep with the sensitive steering. If you grab on and fight it will scare you real bad. Relax and kind of go with it and you will find it is easier to live with. I only run 33 tires, but it can get hairy, especially if the brakes like to grab more on one side. I would try to get back to spring under for the flatty. You could always go with a 3 inch body lift and 4 inch springs and fit 35's.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 01:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was under the impression that converting to the 'high-clearance' steering setup, would help get rid of the handling problems of an SOA. Is this assumption wrong? I'm planning on going SOA with my '56, but if it's going to be a fight to keep it straight at 55MPH, then I think I will redo my plans... Bret

'56 CJ-5, 283, t-90/d18, 25/44, 32's on 15x10's,no lift yet, cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 03:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

High steering might clean up the steering a little. I do not know much about it. If you want to drive on the road more then it might be better to go spring under, it retains safety and sanity while driving.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 05:56 PM
sas87yj

this guy had an old willys with SOA. he was from littleton colorado. when we got back on a fast road he and the others with him booked it out of there pronto! he didn't have any problem with speed!

steve
87yj,6cly,5spd,NP231,4.5"RE susp,1" body,SYE,CV,32x11.50MTR's,D30,D35posi
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 06:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nice flatty pic! I wonder if he "adjusted" the caster when he did all of the suspension work. I plan on replacing the front axle on mine, so I was going to have some caster adjustments (still don't know how much though) made before the welding started. It seems like someone had mentioned +2 degrees on caster. Is this right? I don't know how much/little of caster is needed, but I do know that if it's wrong, it can be a real nightmare to drive... Bret

'56 CJ-5, 283, t-90/d18, 25/44, 32's on 15x10's,no lift yet, cage.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 08:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i thought for the most part it was the caster (i called it camber earlier, my bad). i called a local 4x4 place down in chico CA and he said ball park that fixing the castor could cost anywhere around 600 to 1000 dollars depending on the job. with the money sunk in 35" tires and the cost of converting it back to a spring under being about the same i'm most likely going to go with the caster adjusment. but do you think that a proper caster adjustment can really fix the problem. i know its a off roader, but i have to get to the hills somehow and to do it it for me is by roads with 40+ speed limits.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 09:51 PM

You should only have to adjust caster if you have rotated the differential housing, with longer shackles for example.
Caster should be 4 to 6 degrees for most vehicles.
Correcting caster envolves cutting off and relocating the knuckles, or shims, which I dont recommend.

Jeeplvr
http:// www.trailhed.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 11:04 PM
Ellis

A spring over with flat springs such as from a YJ should not cause a problem at freeway speeds if all of your steering hardware is in good shape. A reversal of the front shackles would also be helpful. This setup with a 1 inch body lift should give you room for the 35's and a fantastic ride on and off road.

80 CJ5, 52M38 Always carry a BFH and a screwdriver.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 11:05 PM
Ellis

A spring over with flat springs such as from a YJ should not cause a problem at freeway speeds if all of your steering hardware is in good shape. A reversal of the front shackles would also be helpful. This setup with a 1 inch body lift should give you room for the 35's and a fantastic ride on and off road.

80 CJ5, 52M38 Always carry a BFH and a screwdriver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode