whos brave enough to make their own brake lines?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

whos brave enough to make their own brake lines??

I was planning on making my own hard brake lines for sure but then i took my old ones off and they are really complicated. I know people on this board have made their own so what are the tricks? I want to make sure i get it right, and i would prefer to go with stainless lines. Thanks- Tim

Its really a shame that AMC thought floors should be optional[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 10:45 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: whos brave enough to make their own brake lines??

Good luck double flaring stainless. The lines must be double flared to hold, which isn't a problem with the right tool. Stainless is hard to double flare, almost impossible, so I'd just go with regular or shell out the $$$ for the premade stainless.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just posted this same thing for a/c lines, I'm pretty sure a shop that makes and repairs hydraulic lines can make these for a fraction of over the counter.I know they can make the a/c lines.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 12:31 AM

When I was in the process of redoing the brake lines on the Willys I just bought straight pieces of regular metal brake lines.
Of course some of them were too long so I had to modify them.
The only tool needed were a pipe cutter and a flaring tool.
This flaring tool is great and in the past 9 months I have had no leaks so far so I am assuming the tool works well.
I never have tried flaring stainless, but flaring regular brake lines was easy enough, so if you are doing this yourself I would go with regular lines.
Besides, the regular lines shouldn't rot away for 30 years or so.

Member TX 4X4 club Arlington Chapter
1946 CJ-2A ---- stock and rebuilt
1987 XJ ---- stock
1996 XJ ---- stock daily Driver
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 01:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't think you need to double flare s/s lines, if I remember right they are single flare at around 37 deg, s/s will crack and split if you double it.
Ask the parts salesman, if he is any good he will know, and be able to supply you the right tools.

THE LAST THING YOU NEED IS TO LOSE YOUR BRAKE ON THE TRAIL!

Keep jeep-n

75 CJ-5, 304, locked 44, 33X12.5 BFG's, Wheeling Alaska

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 03:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

That would suck to loose brakes on the trail. But I think it could suck even more on the freeway doing 65[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44 w/Detroits and 4.56 soon to go in SOA
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 04:14 AM
Way Outta Control

Me[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]....

I made my own on the CJ and also replaced half the brake lines on the Bronco II. I do draw the line at felxible line from the hard break line to the wheel cylinder of the caliper assembly. That I buy.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

So i need a tube cutter, a flare tool, and a tube bender right? Or can i skip the tubing bender if i get annealed or doubled annealed tubing? thanks- Tim

BTW- about a month ago someone noticed that the "new" Hamerite flaked easy. Has anyone had any problems with the new formula they use?

Its really a shame that AMC thought floors should be optional[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 08:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

get a Good cutter and a cheapo bender. I like to use a little more material in the dbl. flare than most flare kits recommend...try to save a factory flare to check your work against. Always keep your mind on the tube you are bending, you need to remember up/down right/left parallel/perpendicular, it sounds simple, but it's easy to screw-up ...I like to mount the flare tool in a vise, so I can get good leverage, Take your time, it aint a spaceship, but you should be able to do a better looking job than most mechanics. When your done mash the pedal and hold it down, if it leaks fix it, if not, move on and don't give it a second thought.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 10:31 PM

You might want to look in to Ferulock fittings from Parker Hannifin. They eliminate the need for flaring. They're expensive but as far as I'm concerned, they're well worth the added cost.

They come in steel and s/s flavors and will handle the pressure with ease.

Rockcrusher
Nevada ORU
http://www.rockcrusher4x4.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode