Off Roading Forums banner

charcoal cannister

1K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  ducmon900 
#1 ·
I'm running new gas line on my 78 with the six and was wondering if I discarded the charcoal cannister if it would hurt anything? I live in michigan and don't get tested for emissions so thats not really a concern.
One other thing, I ordered a new fuel sending unit and it came with two outlets, one for the gas and the other I have no idea. I think it returns to something according to my chiltons. Anybody have any ideas?

#2 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Actually, the charcoal cannister isn't really bothering anything, and it will keep gas fumes out of your garage, so there is no GOOD reason to remove it. You SHOULD, however, pop a gas filter in the line that goes to the carb bowl vent JUST IN CASE the cannister decides to cough up some charcoal.....it's good insurance. That second line is another matter. SOMEWHERE along the line somebody thought they could outthink the factory and eliminated the fuel return line. Your Jeep is supposed to [pump fuel in a circle for a lot of good reasons, not the least of which is to prevent vapor lock on hot days at high elevations. The return line also helps purge bubbles, keeps the fuel pump cooler, and helps reduce wear on the fuel pump linkage. The correct way to set it up is with the three-port filter which has one inlet center-located on one end cap, and one big outlet center located on the other end cap, and a smaller outlet offset on the discharge end cap. Roll the filter such that the little outlet is high and will automatically get the bubbles and wisk them harmlessly back to the tank./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

#3 ·
The filter doesn't sound bad but I have some extra 3/8 gas line. I have a return outlet on the fuel sending unit, I could just run it up to the carb but what would I hook it into. Eventually I'm going with tuned port 350 and a return is needed on them so what the heck. I dug the whatever you want to call out of the trash (hooks too outlets on side of tank then runs up to cannister, attaches to inner fender) the lid popped of it, is there anything that goes inside? thanks ken

#4 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Do you mean that little gizmo that is under the left rear fender? That is a rollover valve which holds the fuel in the tank in the event of an upset. You can establish an outlet for the return line by using the three-port in-line fuel filter....the small port goes back to the tank, but I do believe it is 1/4" line. You can operate no problem without the rollover valve, just don't roll the Jeep/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

#5 ·
I think your right about the 1/4 inch now that i think about it. Okay so I can ditch the gizmo and I'll just have to hurry and roll it right side up (haha). Where can I pick up a 3 port filter, napa, parts plus? Is it going to matter how far away the filter is? I was going to run it about a 18 inches from the tank? So all I'll have to do is return from the small port back to the tank, no problem there. Now I have the two small outlets on the side of the tank, splice them into one and run them up to the canister? I have another question for ya cj dave on brake lines, i'm replacing the lines at the master cylinder, the originals have the spiraling (twisted in circles) probably for cooling, will I be able to get away with just straight tubing down to the junction or should I get the origanls with the twist? Anyhow thanks for the advice cjdave and if you ever get up to the michigan I have two words venison and beer! thanks ken

#6 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I may have to dispatch my crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giffulie team to help you on this one Ken. The answer is no.....you cannot DO that. Remember now....the whole idea is to take fuel up to the engine and then have some of it flow back to the tank. The three-port filter that you want is a NAPA 3040, and you will install it near the carb...AFTER the fuel pump....and with the third port rolled to the high spot to grab those pesky air bubbles. Yes...you can combine the vents and go to the cannister. The spirals in the brake lines are for stress relief, since they go from the tub to the frame and SOME movement is possible between these two components, the factory allowed for some strain relief via the spiral....a very good way to do it, and super secure, better than a length of hose. Venison....that sounds good....been a while since we had a deer in the locker, although two were grazing about twenty feet from our back door yesterday. Two FAT does....they were really in good flesh, there's plenty to eat up here./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave

#7 ·
C'mon up, always have some venison around and if I don't, somebody always has some left over in the freezer.
I can do that putting the three port above the fuel pump and it makes a lot more sense! (haha) Now can I still put one between the tank and pump, won't hurt anything will it?
So thats what the spiral are for, never thought of that. I can make them a little long or I might even try to put some spiral in them, thanks ken

#8 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Unles you have specific knowledge that the fuel tank is contaminated, don't pop a filter in the line at the tank. If you MUST have a fliter back there, go to a wrecking yard and get a frame-mounted fuel filter off a '70's GMC truck which has a huge element and very low losses through the filter. Otherwise it's too hard for the fuel pump to "suck" the fuel through and that just means you vapor lock that much easier. If at all possible, designers try to "push" fuel through filters, rather than "suck" it through.

CJDave

#9 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif My personal favorite is having NO strainer or filter of any kind in the tank, then have a WYE STRAINER (not a filter....a strainer)in a convenient place on the frame which will take out sediment, debris, and some water, and have an easily removeable plug or drain fitting./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

#10 ·
The tank used to be contaminated. I used myridiac(spelling) acid and rust remover just to name a few and looks great inside. I have a filter in the tank, a long piece about four or five inches that fits on the tube. I quess my concern is getting contaminants in the fuel pump, you just never know. I quess it won't hurt anything having the filter above the fuel pump, I can always try it and if I don't like it switch back. Thanks cj dave later ken

#12 ·
I never had the charcoal canister on my 79 CJ5, it was missing when I bought it, as was the rollover valve, so I just connected a short loop of tubing between the two connections on the tank (that would normally go to the rollover valve), effectively plugging them. The two connections on the sender are the fuel feed and return.

On the engine side I connected the carb bowl vent (which would also normally go to the cansiter) to an unused port on the carb body. It runs fine this way.

On the brake line thing: If you're talking about the 1" or so loops under the master cylinder, those are to allow flex and are necessary..... but you can do them by hand, they don't nead to be that neat. If you're talking about the spiral wire wrap down lower, I believe that's for abrasion protection only.

-Dana

I support drug testing. I believe every public official should be given a shot of sodium pentathol and asked "Which laws have you broken this week?".

#13 ·
I have the cannister so i'm going to use it. i will just run the two side outlets into one and up to the canister. I picked up the filter that cjdave was talking about, I like it, they are small and will fit perfectly. Picked up some brake line too, I will try to spiral them tomorrow, probably with bigger cirles so i'm sure not to kink them. later ken

#14 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I bought a Surban used that had a 454 and three fuel tanks (It NEEDED three tanks). The dummies that installed the extra tanks did not know how to deal with the fuel return line, so they plugged it in a very out-of-the-way place. Once we began unsing the Sub, here is what would happen: We would crank up and go somewhere....when we got there, we would shut off the truck and go in....then when we came out ten minutes later, we had to crank and crank and crank to fire the 454, and when it did fire, it filled the street full of smoke and clouds of unburned fuel for three blocks. Well.....I figured the carb was leaking past the needle, so I overhauled the carb....it still did it. I thought it was one of the screws in the base of the carb....we epoxied everything that could possibly leak....it still did it./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif I tried a fuel pressure regulator....it starved that 454 at full throttle....then ONE DAY I was under the truck and saw a hose clamp in the middle of a short fuel line where no clamp shold be......yep, there was a piece of welding rod plugging the line and held in place by the clamp. I pulled it out and PRESTO! no more hard starts! After that, when I used the multiple tanks, I had to remember that when I burned the fuel in the side tanks that about half of the fuel would be transferred to the main tank. So it was only a matter of having space available in the main tank to accept the fuel....using at least 1/4 of the main 40 gal tank BEFORE burning the fuel in the auxillary tanks, because I knew that half the ten gallons was going to the engine and half was going back to the rear center maion tank. BTW....that same outfit...an RV center...also hooked the electric trailer brakes to the front disc portion of the master cylinder. The owner of the Sub battled those problems for 65,000 miles./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

#15 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif That filter should sit horizontal....or nearly so.....with the third port at the top so it will scavenge any air./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

#17 ·
The filter went in easy, bought 25 ft section of 1/4 gas line routed up the filter then used hose for the bend. Seems to run good. Then I used a tee on the vent lines in the gas tank, ran a 2 into 1 then up to the charcoal cannister. I'm glad i did it, cost me a few extra dollars for the gas line but now its done right. Thanks to everybody that helped. ken

P.s On the same day I did the above Quadratec sent me a ring and pinion instead of the pitman arm I was expecting. The bill said pitman arm 29 and some odd cents, not sure what to do but being VERY afraid that would bill me debit card 300 instead of 30 I called them. They didn't KNOW anything about it! That ring and pinion was for a amc 20 perfect for my cj7. later ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.