A/C repair - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 08:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A/C repair

1988 Wrangler , automatic trans. -- the A/C line that leads from under the radiator up to the container which houses the low pressure safety switch has ruptured due to its rubbing against an adjacent line. I plan to replace the line myself. I want to avoid the expensive dealer parts department . Can anyone steer me to a less expensive solution ? I don't know much about A/C work . I plan to have a local garage replace the old $62 per pound refrigerant with a newer $17 per pound refrigerant once I get the ruptured hose line replaced. I have been told that the switch over job will cost $200. This was detailed as $100 for 1.5 hours of labor, $39 kit, $10 dye for future leaks, 40 ounces of refrigerant $42 . Is this reasonable ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 08:58 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: A/C repair

10 years ago I had the low pressure line on my FSJ Wagoneer burn through after an engine fire. Being cheap, I went to the hardware store and got a seciton of copper pile 3" long with a similiar OD as the Hose's ID. I cut the hose to remove the burnt section and trimmed the ends of the cuts. Then I forced the hose ends over the copper pipe and clamped it down with two hose clamps. It heald beautifully... I had a friend in the AC business who threw on a vacuum pump, evacuated the system and poured in the Freon. Burrr......it was nice and cold again for the price of a Big Mac.

For the price of the pipe and the clamps it's a qucik, inexpensive fix. This would let you have enough money to buy the hoses and guages to do the job yourself. That only leaves you needing a vacuum pump. I'm in the process of converting an AC driven window air conditioner pump into a vacuum pump. This will let me evacuate AC systems and pull a vacuum.

I still plan on taking the Federal test so I can legally buy refrigenrant.... but that's after I get all the vehilces laying in parts in my driveway back on the road.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 10:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Avoid the dye. It can gum up your system.I do commercial a/c not cars,but i've seen dye used and my factory dosen't recommend it.Leaks aren't hard to find with correct equipment.Advance or Autozone could have hose or you could have one made.There is some pretty high pressure in the hoses. Sounds like a great price.There not jacking you around on price for the 134a.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 10:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I forgot to say that I had a hose made at a place that makes hydraulic hoses.Just take yours in and they can replace hose section with old ends or maybe install new ends.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 12:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you for your input . I learned that the pinhole was in the aluminum tubing at the area 3 inches prior to its enterring the radiator . A local welder will helioweld ($15 ) the pinhole this PM and I should be well on my way to A/C once more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode