Off Roading Forums banner

Transfer case woes

358 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
My 1980 CJ7 has decided to no longer allow me to drive in regular 2wd high. 4wd low works fine and currently I drive it with the front hubs locked in high. Basically front wheel drive. Does anyone have any ideas about what might be wrong. Also sometimes the rear somehow goes into low while I'm stopped and the front stays in high. It is fun at stop lights trying to find some gear that will let you move forward! I'd like some guesses as to what might be wrong before I tear into it. Thanks.

#2 ·
not good... especially since the x-fer case on an '80 jeep is unique. it is a dana 300, but the output shaft is shorter than any other dana 300. this is desireable because it helps with driveshaft angles, but it will be difficult to find one if you need a replacement. check the linkage.. do you have a body lift?

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net

G
#3 ·
First thing I would do is park it or you risk seriously damaging it or other parts of your drivetrain. Start with Elusives suggestion and check the linkage. You can see it externally. This is the easiest thing to check.

If the linkage looks ok, then it sounds like you need to look inside. You could drain the fluid and remove the inspection cover with the TC still installed, but it won't be any fun... It would definitely be easier to check out and work on if necessary, with the TC out of the jeep.

If you open it up, I would check the forks that are attached to the shift rails. There is one fork on each shift rail. There is a set screw that keeps the forks attached correctly to the shift rail. I've had one of these loosen before, and this can cause shifting problems. There are also 2 small plastic bushings on each shift fork that ride on the ilder gears. Check these for wear.

Good Luck.

Jim O'Brien
rkcrawl@tidesys.com
My jeep page

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.