Iron Duke engines - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Iron Duke engines

What years did Jeep offer the "Iron Duke"?

"Honestly, I didn't lift the Jeep.
I,um..ah..lowered the axles"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 06:08 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Iron Duke engines

Late 1980, 1981, and the first half of 1982. Jeep used the Iron Duke until it developed a motor of it's own, a common practice. The Iron Duke isn't listed in the 1980 manual, but I have seen one and acutally bought the motor, tranny, and transfer from the guy. It had the 6 bolt front hubs and everything.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 06:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Just some additional information to pass on about the Jeep Iron Duke engines. The Pontiac 151 (also known as the Iron Duke) engine has a crossflow head, which means the intake manifold and exhaust manifold are on opposite sides of the head. The Jeep 4 cylinder has the intake and exhaust manifold on the same side of the head. The Jeep Iron Duke used in the early 80's has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the Small Block Chevy. GM vehicles built after 10/79 that have the Pontiac 151 (Iron Duke) do not have same bellhousing bolt pattern as a Small Block Chevy. The reason the Jeep Iron Duke engines of the early 80's have the bellhousing bolt pattern as a Small Block Chevy is because GM had lots of left over 151 engines that were to be installed in the RWD Monza, but were not installed into the Monza due to a strike. GM made a real bargin deal to AMC that AMC could not refuse on it's left over 151's. GM had decided to redesign the the Iron Duke for the new line of GM FWD vehicles like the Chevy Citation, and changed the bellhousing bolt pattern. All in all GM has 5 different versions of the Iron Duke. The Jeep version Iron Duke is a real special version that does not share much interchangeability with it's GM cousins.
dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 06:34 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Damn Dave, nice piece of info, I had no idea about any of that. I think it's a great little motor, I love mine.

Just curious, where did the info come from? (I mean other than your brain! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img])

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 07:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

For what it is worth, I found that you can use a carb off of an S-10 2.8 V6 on this motor. Had one laying around and instead of paying $400 for a new one we bolted the S-10 carb on and it worked great.

Have you had to put a fuel pump on yet? What a pain in the a$$ that was.

Edder

Do you smell that?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 09:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dave that a great write up there I've been trying to find out some of that info for a while I even asked the guys on a Fierro forum but they couldn't answer those questions thanks.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 10:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I used to work for a GM dealership in the early 80's, so most of my Pontiac 151 information is based on my memory of that job. In the late 80's I bought a 1980 CJ5 with an Iron Duke. My CJ5 now has a Small Block Chevy. I guess my knowledge of the Iron Duke is based on personal experience with a Jeep Iron Duke, and lots of hours logged in at a GM dealership service department.
dave

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 08:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My CJ had the Iron Duke when I bought it. My experience with that motor is this: It had 85,000 miles, was only making MAYBE 78hp, and was burning oil. I brought it on a few trail rides with LA 4X4, and the little sucker whipped many of the v8s and I6s. The reasoning was the power and weight. When I'd throw it up a hill, I could just floor it in 2nd gear, and it wouldn't have enough power to spin the tires - so it would maintain traction. The larger motors would spin the tires and not make it. Otherwise...I wanted more power anyway (testosterone), so tried to kill it before dropping in the 360. That little sucker wouldn't die! It just kept going and going and going......

Otherwise...when I did pull it, I didn't have anywhere to store it and didn't know what else to do with a 4banger that needed a rebuild, so I figured I'd make a few bucks at the scrap yard. That motor got me a whopping $4.57. Doh!

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/cobra, M.O.R.E. shackles, 1/2" steel bumper, 1" body lift and lots of ideas!

'96 ZJ - 4.0L/42re/np242/optima/cobra and other goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode