Tuffy console wiring ideas - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Tuffy console wiring ideas

I am looking for ideas on geting the wiring to my console for the stereo. I don't want a rats nest of wires all over the floor, as I don't do carpet. I figure my options are:

1. go under the tub, which means the wiring is exposed to the elements and new holes in the floorboards.

2. run conduit inside the tub, I would probably need to run more than one piece to keep speaker wires and power from running alongside each other ( is this a valid concern for sound quality, I am not running state of the art sound gear)

Any Ideas?

BigHG
84 CJ7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 05:45 PM

Re: Tuffy console wiring ideas

I "glued" the wires to and from my Tuffy with RTV on the underside of the tub. Besides the stereo, I also have a CB base and ARB switches in there. This I did during the rebuild. It was easy cause the fiberglass was clean. A bead of RTV ran on top of the wires the entire exposed length protects them from any pebbles getting kicked up.
I haven't had any problems with it since 96.
Bob in Ma

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 05:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i ran all the wires.. zip tied together.. on the drivers side of the middle tub plate (for the shifters) put some of that plastic wire covering stuff over it.. then used two rubber hose clamp things and used the front and aft screws that hold down that plate to secure them.. looks good.. and is effective.. i even spray painted that covering stuff blue.. to match the jeep.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 08:55 PM
Way Outta Control

While I'm in the middle (1 year now!) of the fiberglass tub swap I've been thinking about just how to run wiring and protect it at the same time. I've come to the conclusion that I'll be runing ALL exposed wiring inside the tub in pieces of 1" Dia. PVC pipe...

The Wiring for the Rollbar mounted map and interior lights will be run through the rollbar.

Wiring for the console between the seats will follow a piece of PVC UNDER and into the tub from the firewall and the console area.

Wiring for the Fiero seat speakers come from the drivers side PVC and a second pice of PVC will be extended from under the dash along the passenger side of the bottom of the tub.

I thought about simply using plastic wrap-around sheathing. I'm not in favor of using this stuff inside the tub because of too many blows from tools, heels, etc. It only takes one little sharp blow to destroy a wire, and maybe a wiring harness.

The 1" PVC pipe is inexpensive, easily worked with, paintable and tough as nails. It provides more than enough room to run wires with the confidence that the wires are protected and can easily be removed when needed.

All outlets will be capped and sealed, with the lowest point of the pipe drilled with a drain hole for condensation removal.

Any comments?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

I am leaning toward some flexible conduit at this point. The only worry I have is that it will rattle. The pvc is a good idea Leve. I may experiment with it to see if I can use my heat shrink gun to mold it to the floor contour. Actually as hot as it was today I could have probably just cut it to the right length, laid it on the floor and it may have conformed all by it self. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Does anyone know have an idea how much the sound may be compromised by running all the wire in the same peice of pipe? I have been told this is a no no.

BigHG
84 CJ7
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 01:29 AM
Way Outta Control

We're talking Stereo Sound here?

Point 1. If you run quality shielded wire and quality low resistance connectors from the ouptputs to the speakers, there will be no problems. Problems occur when unshieled speaker wire is laid near other wires. RFI, EMI, and cross talk can occur. This is when spurious singnals will be radiated by one wire and that signal is introduced to anohter that picks up the signal. The shielding will prevent this problem

Point 2. This is a Jeep we're talking about. How good can the sound quality ever get at 70mph and the tops down? Of course, with then engine off and standing still that's a different question.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 10:41 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I would recommend some flexible electrical conduit. It has built in UV protection and can be used with raintight connectors that are weatherproof. If you are using an amplifier do not run your wires together. If it is a standard head unit be sure you have a very good ground. This will help eliminate noise from components or the engine.

Later,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 10:53 AM
sas87yj

i like jeepgod's idea. go the shortest route from under dash to console. no one sits in the middle like a pick-up so no feet should be there. it's easy and if you don't like it go for something else!

steve
87yj,6cly,5spd,NP231,4.5"RE susp,1" body,SYE,CV,32x11.50MTR's,D30,D35posi
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 10:54 AM
Can't Get Enough

It might be a good idea to drill small drain holes in the PVC at the low points. Nylon clamps with stainless steel hardware. And Mr. Van Every....as far as good sound quality at 70mph....Scotty, we need more power. Enough to hear all freqs.(maybe bi-amped or better) over the wind noise. I have a soft top and with the canvas flapping and the frame rattling(working on a solution for the fall), I think it is actually quieter with the top off. I'm running a graphic eq. into a tame 40/40 watt amp driving 6x9's for the rear and straight out of the radio for the front speakers. Sounds good to me. Now my eyes are slowly going, I'll admit, but it's my wife that's loosing the hearing. Maybe it's part of that great plan...She still looks good and she can't hear me when I grumble at her. Hehehehe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode