Off Roading Forums banner

Best Rattle Can Paint???

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
ok, i finally got rid of my hardtop and doors for a set of nice steel 1/2 doors and nice Softop

the 1/2 doors are white and i am looking to paint them black. Not looking for perfect, but i dont want a crappy result. I am looking at the rattle can route and look for ideas/advice for prep and brand of paint

anyone?

or does anyone know of an affordable body shop in Mass?

thanks

Boston Mangler
89 YJ With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/

#2 ·
i used krylon high gloss..
its all in the prep work.. if the doors are in great shape.. i would clean them with some xcylene (sp?).. then sand them with some 220 grit.. rince.. clean.. and then sand with some 400.. rince.. clean.. and then shoot them.. im no expert.. but its what i did with my tub.. and it came out quite nice..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G
#3 ·
I did my body with hamerite (the non textured type). People don't believe that I did it with old rattle cans. That stuff DOES NOT run, its great! I primered with krylon sandable auto primer. Get one of those trigger gun adapter things that snap on to the top of the can. It make life real easy and your thumb wont get tired.

My name is Ted, and I'm a Jeep-a-holic. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
[email]tzeiger@excite.com[/email]

#4 ·
I have been using the rustoleum industrial paint from my local Home Depot. It doesn't require primer and seems to be pretty durable. We don't have the rust issues you guys do though.

BigHG
84 CJ7

#5 ·
I use the Plasticote Laquer from PepBoys. It is the stuff that matches factory paint colors. The Chrysler white, matches whats left of my factory paint very well. It doesnt run or yellow, and has a very nice finish. I use the 220 grit, on a block, and wipe down the metal with rubbing alcohol, then a tacky cloth, before priming. I usualy hit the primer with 400 grit, if Im getting really fancy, then alcohol and a tacky cloth, befroe painting.
Im pretty impressed with how well it looks, and its durability. Its about 3.99 a can though

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.

G
#6 ·
It's all in the prep. Just use primer and paint from the same company. I think that SEM makes the best rattle can paint, but it's expensive and hard to find. Krylon or rustoleum will do fine.

77 CJ-7, 360, T-18, 5 inch lift, 35's, MileMarker, full cage.

#7 ·
I have had good luck with farm implement paint. It's pretty tough and you need to work to make it run. Black is pretty tough as it shows up all the flaws underneath, so decent prep as described earlier will make the job look good. I don't know if it's a big deal with black but make sure you get all the cans from the same lot number, regardless of what brand you go with. Get an extra can or two for touch ups too.

Ken

#8 ·
Once again, I will say that the prep work is most important to the finish look.
I painted an International Scout with the Wal-Mart Automotive Paint and the first time it looked OK, but it flaked pretty bad so the second time I did it with the same paint, but I sanded and smoothed before primering and painting.
Since I prepped it the second time I never saw it flake once.

Member TX 4X4 club Arlington Chapter
1946 CJ-2A ---- stock and rebuilt
1987 XJ ---- stock
1996 XJ ---- stock daily Driver

G
#9 ·
Hey BM look at a Abachian(spelling?) Hardware or a True Value I just saw a Hammerite spray paint can!...$8.00

Mark (OIIIIO) Langmotorsports(business)
1977/CJ7/Glasstub/460ciFord/C6Auto/NP205/4"LIFT/33'S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.