Off Roading Forums banner

Since welding has been discussed...

406 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I have a custom bumper on the back of my 95yj that's made out of 3/16" 4 x 4 square tubing. It's mounted to the 8 screw places the bumperettes were and also has two welded supports under the bottom that bolt directly into the frame under the bumper. I wanted to mount some tow hooks of some sort on that bumper but since it's a sealed square tube, I can't get inside to put any nuts on for hooks. I was thinking of using some 2" square tubing and welding it up to the bumper to make a receiver to hold the removable hook and eye.

I'm not sure that just a piece of 2" square has enough surface area to make it strong. I might have to buy or make a larger receiver to weld up to the bumper to make it strong enough. I don't want to hurt my clearance in the rear too much though, like some receivers might.

My question is: Is a weld strong enough to support the pressure of pulling me out of something (not that I ever get stuck heh) without breaking the weld and sending the receiver through the helpers windshield?

G
#2 ·
The answer is...maybe. It depends a lot on the weld, the welder, the welding machine, and the steel used. How thick is the wall on the square tubing? Some square tubing is sheetmetal-esque, whereas some has some nice thick walls. The square piece used to make the receiver hitch for my pickup is not tubing, it's 2" solid bar stock. If you're going to use the 2" square tubing to make a reciever hitch, you need bigger than 2" tubing, or a smaller than standard receiver. The inside measurement of a receiver hitch must be 2", not the outside measurement. I can't picture exactly how your welded supports run without more detail or a picture, but they'd be your best bet for something solid to hook to (assuming that they are bolted to the frame with sandwiched plates and some nice, heavy bolts (at least Grade 5, 8 is better). If you could build a crossmember between the two supports, just behind the bumper, and then weld your tubing to the bumper and the crossmember...that would have the potential to be very strong. However, it depends entirely on what you're using. How thick are the supports? What kind of welding are you planning on doing? If your supports are nice and strong, and you have some nice, thick walled, 2" internal measurement square tubing, and you lay down a nice, strong weld using an appropriate rod/wire that has a high tensile strength and good durability, attaching your square tube to the bumper and the supports, you should have a very solid system. But without a little more info, it's hard to say.

By the way, here's a question I don't know the answer to that needs to be asked in addition to the materials question. Since your 4x4 bumper is sealed, when you weld on it, you'll be making lots of heat and increasing the pressure inside it. I'm not certain exactly how much pressure, but there's probably some advice you need to get before you go welding on the tube. Or maybe I'm just being overcautious.

Evolution of tools: stone, hammer, wrench, socket, impact, really big hammer, blue wrench.

#3 ·
You will have to use a piece of 2"x2" (inside) about 5" long to get the hook into the receiver and for it to be strong enough. If you're looking for a tow point, do like I did on the Scrambler, which has a flat rear bumper. I went to the local Brake Service shop and had them bend me a couple of 1/2" Grade 8 U-bolts, about 4" across. I drilled through the bumper and into the frame supports. They don't get in the way, look nice, will never break, and can also be used as steps to get into the back of the jeep. Scramblers have enough overhang anyway, and these don't add any extra. I have mine positioned so if I back into a tree, it will take most of the brunt off the taillight. Of course, they were a little (1" or so) too short, so I creamed one of my taillights anyway, but the theory is sound...

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

#4 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I vote for Jeep-N....that u-bolt idea is stellar. It has everything going for it. There is no way you can screw up, and they will look good as well. My moonguys/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifare really wild about that idea......they are rolling all over the place./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.