Help me find a DC Voltmeter! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Help me find a DC Voltmeter!

I have been inspired by Kutyafal's success with his OB Welder, and have put together one for my Jeep. I had a spare alternator from my wife's Scrambler lying around, and I was toying with mounting locations when I found the perfect spot that would work with just a piece of angle iron bolted on.
I have been able to source everything to finish this project, but can't for the life of me find panel mount DC voltmeters in the 0-150 or 0-200 range, similar to this

I don't think I'll be adding the ammeter, I don't see how it could work unless you were actually welding, in which case your looking elsewhere, and knowing just voltage should be enough for repeatability.
Anyone know where I can get one of these?
Bob in Ma

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 09:35 PM

Re: Help me find a DC Voltmeter!

There are several in the 0-150VDC range at www.newark.com (search on dc voltmeter) or www.mcmastercarr.com (search under voltmeter). Silly question-why so high of voltage for the meter?? Welding is done with very low voltage and very high current. The mig welders at work only read to 40 V. Also your car is only 12 V system-sure you want that range for a welder?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Re: Help me find a DC Voltmeter!

Thanks for the links, I ended up ordering one from Newark that will work fine.
To answer your question, when you convert an alternator to an arc welder, you are bypassing the voltage regulator, allowing the now "weldernator" to put out voltage proportional to RPM. The project at http://members.home.net/goodale98/je...lder/index.htm puts out 150 amps at 70 vdc at 2000 RPM.
I don't have a tach on my Jeep, but have recorded 62 VDC with my multimeter on my weldernator at what I would consider moderate RPM's.
Bob in Ma

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode