Off Roading Forums banner

Just a thought......

682 views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  JEEPN 
#1 ·
Just a thought...

im kinda new to the board....and 90% of the posts are about someones jeep not working right....I just thought it was funny that no matter how often the break, explode, or mysteriosly stop working.......we still love 'em ta death

Just a thought....im not expecting answers to this post...but i guess you can if you feel so compelled

Jeep'n Greg

#2 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif You know, it isn't that Jeeps are more prone or less prone to failure than anything else, if you leave a Jeep completely stock and do right by the maintenance, it will not give much trouble. About HALF of the problem you see posted will fall in one of the following categories: (1) I made some changes to my Jeep and ignored what the factory did thinking that I was so much smarter and then I found out that the little froobis over there on the fender DID have something to do with the Jeep running right. (2)I raised my Jeep up last weekend and now it vibrates. What do you mean did I degree the pinion? (3) I'm putting a 401 crank in my 304, but I don't want to really do it right, we'll just use the same pistons. (4)My 258 won't run right after I removed all of the vacuum lines. (4) I just put new tires in front and now I can't get it to move out of FWD./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif I have to tell you, that sometimes my moonguys/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gifjust have to laugh at some stuff they see on this BBS. I KNOW that we all have to learn little by little, and that's why I never get on anybody's a$$ for doing something really dumb, like eliminating the three-port fuel filter./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G
#3 ·
Another reason for some (if not most) of the problems, is that this group uses their Jeeps... i think Everyone on the board uses thier 4wd more in 1 month, than most new jeeps will see in a Year (some a Lifetime). Being up to the steering wheel (as fun as it is) in Mud.. is NOT good for a Car, Truck, Jeep, etc... neither is bouncing through rocks the size of VW's, or flying across the desert at breakneck speeds.

Any board you find that uses thier cars to the extreme, you will find Breakage problems. Even those crazy lil bumble bee cars.. if you squeze enough turbo boost, nitrous, whatever into a cylinder, it WILL blow up.. spend 2hrs @ 7k RPM.. the motor WILL break.. Run that Dana 30 into another tree stump, it will bend.. and so on.

These Jeeps are used (sometimes abused) and as such, there is going to be problems.

Later
BJ

"If you chose not to decide, you still have made a Choice" RUSH

G
#4 ·
An old veteran of our jeep club told me when I first got into this sport that every rock strewn giant hill that you climb cost about $200. At first I thought he was kidding but he really wasn't- - think about it!

G
#5 ·
CJDave sometimes I just have to have someone pull my head out of my
a$$ so I can get some fresh air to my brain. Its not really that bad
having your head up there once you get by the smell. Its always warm
and quiet.

#6 ·
Jeeps have a well deserved reputation for being "rugged". However, I believe "rugged" doesn't mean that they can go on indefinitely without maintenance being done or take the pounding that many are subjected to without some failures. Remember that many Jeeps are over 10 years old and have well over 100,000 miles on them.

The more thurough a Jeep owner is with maintenance, the less trouble the Jeep will give him/her and the longer it will last. If this were a perfect world, I'd wish that no Jeep was sent to the junk yard; they would last forever!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

#7 ·
How many times can you read or say "I like my jeep " before it becomes verrrrrryyyyyy boreing.Gotta talk about something...thats why the "OFF Topic "posts get so much response.
and sometimes some of us buy jeeps that have been pounded to he77 and back that require something to be fixed on a regular basis. Sometimes when nothing breaks I have to crawl around under it to find out why....did that last weekend and my clutch linkage went bye-bye.I had some parts here and got it drivable till the rest come in...try doing that with a new car ...or better yet get a dealer to fix it for ya wihthin your lifetime.you can't fix it if you don't know what makes it tick.
later .

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

#8 ·
Like the say....jeeps are built, not bought. Don't be afraid to ask questions, thier are some very knowledgable jeepers on this board who have been jeepin a long time who can help you out with anything. Look at me, I've been tinkering with jeeps for only five years and I had no idea what a three port filter was! ken

#9 ·
I was just thinking about what a good feeling it is to know that while your in your sleeping bag, the Jeep is just outside the tent and you did all the maintenance on it so it will be able to do everything you ask of it the next day. Even that most terrible event of any camping trip: the pack up and the ride home./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

#10 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif You know, that's exactly right. No matter what happens to this CJ, it is so basic that we can always fix it. I secretly worry about my '97 Grand Cherokee because it has been absolutely trouble free (except for a tranny cooler hose) for 99,600 miles now, and I don't know squat about the fuel injection or the trouble codes. I have taken to carrying a Haynes manual with me and whenever I have a few moments, be it in my motel room or waiting for someone or something, I get the Haynes out and read, read, read. This modern stuff is great when it runs, but in times of crisis, I really prefer to drive something that I have personally assembled and have held every part in my hand. THAT I can trust! The early Jeeps are kind of crude in places, but very simple to fix./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

#11 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif Hmmm....my moonguys/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifalways LIKE to read your posts GT. They think you are a loyal, gun-totin' American, which is a lot more than I can say for the bunch that is polluting the white house, AND their excuse-giving supporters. Keep on postin'!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

#12 ·
Don't worry too much, Dave. All you have to be is a little smarter than the ZJ.... I think you've got that covered. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

G
#13 ·
Yeah, we all love our jeeps. I speculate there's mostly CJ's, some YJ's on this forum.

We're talking basics here, folks. CJ's are stout little trucks, with no damned frills.

They are honest. They are simple. They are straightforward (except maybe for all those vacuum hoses).

They attract people who are honest, simple, straightforward.

Which is why you don't see a lot of stupid-a$$ anti-gun or ignorant pro-Clinton or Gore hor$e$hit in the off topic stuff here.

Jeep people have to be independent, logical, persistent and willing to stand on their own two feet. Otherwise they couldn't deal with the vehicle over the long haul. And those traits imply loyalty: to a fine machine and a damned fine country if the candy a$$e$ don't give it away.

Love my jeep. Love my guns. Love my freedom. Love my country. Love it if the politically correct whimps and wooses would just leave me alone and go to hell their own way.

Bone stock '81 CJ7,'96 ZJ.
"Will Rogers never met Bill Clinton."

#15 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif Er....ah/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gifI don't know what yer talkin' about John/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

#16 ·
i like to live by the motto..
i dont drive what i cant fix...

and the worst part is my rx-7 now needs a new motor.. so am getting a apex seal kit and tearing into that.. as soon as the jeep is assembled. oh what fun...
should be a great learning experience.. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
or atleast that is what my grandfather would tell me..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

#17 ·
I know what you mean about the ZJ, Dave. Our '95 Trooper is getting me worried. It's been a good vehicle, and fairly easy to work on, but the prices for some of this stuff will kill you. Not everything is accessable either. I'm dreading the day when I really have to do something to it, 'cause it's gonna hurt. After it's paid off the wife and I are thinking mid '80's Wagoneer with 1 ton running gear, new motor (injected), and a decent tranny. Think about it, you could build a vehicle new for 1/2 the cost of a new one off the lot, it'd be 10 times more reliable, cheaper, and easier to work on. Already been pricing the new motor, looks like it'll be $6K by itself, maybe we'll go diesel..."Powered by Cat" has a nice ring to it.

Another reason this board gets so much traffic is the type of mods we do to our vehicles. I'm running mostly Chevy stuff, I know of a similar Scrambler that's all Ford with a little Toy mixed in. If it were all just jeep stuff it'd be boring. So not only do we have questions about jeeps, but most other brands as well. We also have the $$$ factor, some trying to do things well but with as little money as possible (I'm one), others don't care about expense. We also like to learn. I'd rather screw something up and learn from it than pay someone to do it right and not learn a thing. With this board I can have the best of both worlds. I can scrwew something up, have you guys come down on me for it, ridicule me, discuss it for awhile, mention what I did wrong, what not to do, then tell me how to correct the screwup. See, isn't that a lot more fun than reading through some manual and learning it right the first time?

But seriously, a lot of the mods posted are stuff I NEVER would have thought of. It's brought my jeep to a whole new level of "Hey guys, this is neat, look at this..." Why reinvent the wheel. It's like the BASF commercial, "We don't make the jeep, we make it better".

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RE 9000's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.