Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Jeep Wave - Alive and Well! (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/76659-jeep-wave-alive-well.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 06-29-2001 12:59 PM

Jeep Wave - Alive and Well!

I noticed a post a few weeks back where someone was complaining about snobs in their Jeeps were not waving to him.

A few days ago I had to go to my brother-in-law's house and on my way back (about a 5 mile trip) driving my 85 CJ7, I saw 8 other CJ's and Wranglers and ALL of them waved to me. And of course I waved back. It was a beautiful day, temp in the 80's and low humidity. All of the vehicles had the tops off, or windows out, etc. I guess they were all in a good mood.

So, the "Jeep Wave" is still alive and well.

JeepnGreg 06-29-2001 02:38 PM

Re: Jeep Wave - Alive and Well!

yea.....gotta wave.....i always feel like a jackass when im distracted and dont notice a wave.......though i usually wave first if im paying attention....i dont follow the "rules" of waving only to superior jeeps.....thats just retarded....i wave to all jeeps

<font color=red>Jeep'n Greg</font color=red>
http://members.tripod.com/illinois_OR/pics/jeep2.gif

JoeyCJ55 06-29-2001 03:29 PM

For some reason or another..chicks in jeeps never wave back to me..or don't even notice me driving the jeep by [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
I mean even one's in lifted yj's and such..and I think i've seen some in cj's.
Its probably their husband's ride ;)

Its four wheel drive and naked women what more do you want?
-Dirt Dog
SWB BBS Member Page!(exclamation)
http://www.shortwheelbase.com

DanStew 06-29-2001 03:51 PM

I just hate when i am in my pick-up driving around. I see all kinds of jeeps, sometimes i wave and each received with a "What the fu$%" stare. When i drive my jeep i try to wave at all jeepers in my path.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

InfantryYJ 06-29-2001 05:02 PM

I did notice over my past seven weeks up in the Quantico area that the wave was alive and well. Now down here in Albany, Ga, that's a different story.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.<font color=black>
Semper Jeep
http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_u...3343-grunt.gif

**DONOTDELETE** 06-29-2001 05:45 PM

Joey-i get the same thing! Jeep chicks almost never wave back at me. i think its just because theyre so intimidated by us Jeep guys that they dont feel they're worthy to wave. or maybe they just think were dorks...i dunno...whatever.

It's not a CAR, it's not a TRUCK...its a JEEP-get it right.

**DONOTDELETE** 06-29-2001 06:52 PM

Up here in the Great White North,{Halifax,Nova Scotia}, most everybody waves to me that are in cj's,yj's, but more chicks wave than guys do in tj's. Don't get me wrong, I ain't complain'n, just kinda wierd, thought I'd pass it on

Shannon
78cj5 4.2
t176,dana300

ExtinctJeep 06-29-2001 07:02 PM

Hey Deadeye,

I started the post you're talking about and I wasn't complaining about not being waved at. You must have missed the point...it all about what makes a jeeper? Its not the wave, nor the ride, its how they feel being in a Jeep or owning one.

I get waves from fellow Bimmer owners while driving it as much as I do from Jeepers when in my Jeep, but I consider myself a Jeeper as it brings me more happiness than the Bimmer.

As to waving, I find it amazing how many times someone in a brand new TJ (or KJ) waves at my old Jeep and how their faces glow when I wave back. That is the joy of the wave, not "proving" you're a Jeeper, but voluntarily sharing with a stranger your love for the freedom of a Jeep.

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

**DONOTDELETE** 06-29-2001 07:35 PM

Thought I'd let you know the Jeep wave is alive and well down under. Jeeps are so rare though, I usually get waved over to chat. Guys rave on and on about how great it is to see a cool jeep and usally the hood gets lifted for the full inspection etc etc. Chicks sort of giggle and go all shy unless they happen to be in a jeep (most often a TJ with a car bra). I always wave first.

I'll go first!

**DONOTDELETE** 06-30-2001 09:41 AM

This is an interesting subject. Whenever I drive my YJ Wrangler the waves are 75% of the time from other Jeepers However when I cruise in my '75 CJ-5 Waves are 100% and most everytime someone stops me to ask about my CJ.

The funny thing is that the majority of TJ's I've seen seen lately are driven by grandmothers. You see more and more senior citizens driving TJ's in this tourist town.

BillR 06-30-2001 12:03 PM

The wave is alive and well here in Flagstaff. I get returns mostly from CJs and lifted YJs. I wave at 'em all. There are a few nice FSJs here in town, and they jump in with the wave thing, too. Very cool! :-)

'86 CJ-7, 360, TFI, 727, OEM Dana 44 rear w/Truetrac, Dana 30 w/Powertrax No-Slip, 4" Superlift, 4:11s, Warn HS9500i

FatBoyRob 07-03-2001 11:43 AM

Here, near Ontario, the Jeep wave is a geographical thing. In the bigger cities, Toronto and stuff, hardly anyone waves and all look at you funny like do I know you? Probably because they haven't been on a trail with other Jeepers to experience the comraderie. As you move out of the urban areas more people wave. In Mississauga where I live, I wave at everyone, I get waves from about 75% if they are paying attention to what's going on.

Almost every morning on the way to work I run into a YJ going the other direction. This is a four lane city road, doesn't matter where we are in the lanes, we always wave to each other, in the heat it's usually hands out the window wave, in the cold, usually the two finger salute. One of these days I will stop and talk to him.

The beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert.

apetroski 07-03-2001 11:55 AM

When I got my first CJ, I thought I was a popular guy. Then I figured it out. Can't wait to be able to wave again. One more month, I hope, before it all back together.

**DONOTDELETE** 09-04-2002 12:16 AM

well i am ashamed to say that the Jeep Wave has somewhat died here in Dayton, Ohio... i would say that 1 in 5 Jeepers still sport the wave and i am appauled. Are we not to be proud of our Jeeps? what is one to think of a Jeeper who does not excercise his/her Jeep wave right? it makes me mad and somewhat embarrassed to throw the wave and receive no reaction. something must be done!

elusive 09-04-2002 05:53 AM

it's odd around here.. if I drive my tj on 38's, no one waves.. but if I have a shiney tj on 33's, everyone waves....i dont get it..... its so bad that i got discouraged in my tj and i dont initiate any waves unless I know the person.....which is common..this is a smal town and a i have worked on most of the jeeps here.

BMF 09-04-2002 12:28 PM

I'd have to agree with BillR on Flagstaff. When I was living there almost every CJ and lifted YJ would return the old wave. TJ's and stock YJ's was another matter though.

**DONOTDELETE** 09-04-2002 12:56 PM

drive down this chick in a jeeps road... i'll wave.. heck.. if i am not dealing with pms you'll probably get a smile too....
p.s dont take the chick thing personally..most of em dont wave in central CA either... the guys.. well depends on if the jeep is just a box for their stereo (they don't) the fun ones.. oh yeah..

**DONOTDELETE** 09-04-2002 01:03 PM

Down here the wave is alive and well UNLESS the driver is in a TJ. Seems like unless the TJ is heavily modified, the drivers have tunnel vision. I always wave at all jeeps, but I'd be suprised if 1 in 25 TJ's return the favor. YJ owners always wave back enthusiastically and well, the CJ owners usually know they are in a classic and the keep the tradition alive. My girlfriend thought I was on crack when she saw me waving at other jeeps, until I explained why!

mobdawg 09-04-2002 06:27 PM

I live 3 blocks from elusive and I tend to agree. The only people around here that wave are the CJ drivers and the guys in lifted YJs or TJs which are few and far between. I think the knuckleheads in the shiny new stock TJs are oblivious to the wave and I've even seen one new TJ with 30s or 31" ers and it had a sticker on the bumper that said "don't follow me, you won't make it"!!! What can you do but laugh? Nada, and with that I throw the wave out to everyone and hope for the best. Just outside of Raleigh, NC I even got a wave from a CJ-7 clear across the interstate with Clifferd on the trailer behind my Durango...so the CJ guess have my respect.

bigbad8 09-04-2002 06:34 PM

new york..long island specifically, the wave is rare few and far between. i wave as well as my wife to all jeepers. Unless we can tell that they suck beans from afar.
waves tend to come from other built jeeps. i was thinking of making copies and sticking them on parked jeeps when i happen to park near one.
dealers show hand out flyers as part of their "new Vehicle Information Packets".... MG's were a big waving community as well.

H8monday 09-04-2002 06:46 PM

I watch built up rigs drive up and down hwy 50 every day on the way to and from the Rubicon.
On the hwy, all of the built Jeeps, Landcruisers and yotas wave to each other.
In the City or as I get further from the Rubicon, I usually only get waves from other built rigs.
I get more waves from Bikers than I do from stock Jeeps.

Dirt Dog 09-04-2002 07:02 PM

Hoffa I live 15 min north of you(Troy) and the wave is great here (where you live? W 3rd? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]) I'd say that 75% of the SWB jeeps wave here. I usually get wierd (dirty old man) looks from the teenies in daddys TJ, but thats OK too. Other than that I think I have converted a few that finally figured it out. "Hey.........jeeps wave at me.........I'll wave at jeeps".
I love the wave. As a biker you get it there too. I did figure out how to "crooss the border" though. Say you see a killer early bronco.(or maybe an XJ or whatever) It's not exactly a SWB jeep that the wave is a normal thing. I usually give a nice big thumbs up instead. That has turned into a deal where I have started to get waves (a new road friend) and then I have met most after a while to admire each others rigs.

**DONOTDELETE** 09-05-2002 05:25 PM

in austintown it seems the wave is kicking i just git my 90 wrangler in feb from the frist day guys were waving but the female side of the equation repley to a wave about 1 in 5