Electrical fuel pump question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 09:37 AM
Frank360

Electrical fuel pump question

I'm looking around to buy an electrical fuel pump, what capacity should I look for, is it the gallons per hour or the psi... At Carquest, I'd pay around 60$CAN for a 5 psi...

Also, what should I wire it to... where under the under can I find a wire with power when the key is turned on ? I know I sound a little basic this morning, it's because I had to many beers last night, and I'm in really bad shape today...

A Jeep is a Jeep..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 10:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Electrical fuel pump question

Try the ignition switch.

<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]</font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 11:00 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Ha - I looked under my under and I didn't see any wires. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sorry, man, just giving you sh|t for being hungover. Man, I hate days like that. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

5 PSI should be fine. I don't think you have to worry about higher Gallons per minute, or anything like that until you get up into racing motors, so you should be ok with the generic type, I would think.

As I understand it, carbureted systems typically run up to about 6 PSI.

Good luck
Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 11:43 AM
Frank360

Yea, I used my dehydrated brain cells for once and did some searches on the subject, alot of good stuff came up... Man, I feel like SuperDave after a crash... yea, saw stuff on vaporlock.. somebody can explain what that new term means ???

A Jeep is a Jeep..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 12:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

vapor lock is basically when you've got a fuel line running next to something really hot (like the exhaust). What sometimes happens is the liquid gasoline will actually vaporize, turning into gas. When this occurs, the fuel pump is trying to pump gas (i.e. not liquid), which compresses and the motor can't get enough fuel.

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/cobra, M.O.R.E. shackles, 1/2" steel bumper, 1" body lift and lots of ideas!

'96 ZJ - 4.0L/42re/np242/optima/cobra and other goodies
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 01:38 PM
Frank360

Well, got my pump, filter and hoses... the dumbass that had the jeep before me put heater hoses on the pcv system, no wonder I hear hissing noises, those are all corrodes now... Oh yea, here are the instructions that came with my pump...

A Jeep is a Jeep..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-468576-Fpump.JPG (89.3 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode