Where can I get a High amp alt? - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 07:12 AM

Re: Where can I get a High amp alt?

Get a large housing Ford alternator. You can get a 88 or so Lincoln Mark VII alternator.They are externally regulated. They come from Bosch with 120 amps, and all other brands(like the lifetime warranty versions from the major auto parts chains)come with 100 amp windings.
They can be easily and farly affrodably rewired by any industrial automotive Electrical supply to about 140- 160 amps.
I have not had good experience at all with the Powermaster alternators. I bought one for my 4.0 a couple of years ago, and it went bad the 1st time it was pushed hard, the replacement, which they quicly honored, only lasted about 3 months, the next one I gave to a freind who had it fail fairly quickly. I bought a 140 amp version for the 4 banger when I was running it, and it failed within the 1st few weeks, and the replacement is sitting in my storage, if someone wants to buy it and give it a try. Its never been used, and still has the warranty from summit.
I love night runs, and often work the winch hills, on night runs, so, I do use my electrical systems very hard.
The big Ford units are very reliable.

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 07:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Where can I get a High amp alt?

Seems like all the after market alternators only want to give a 1 year warranty, at $300 I would hope they would last longer than that. The guy at the local electric shop said the reason is the high amp alternators run hotter and that you'd be lucky to get much more than a year out of them.He also said he could rewind any alternator for more output that would last. I didn't get a price yet but sounds to me H8 has the best idea.

Edder

Do you smell that?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode