Off Roading Forums banner

Breather for rear axle

825 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Dana 
G
#1 ·
I have Scout D44s under my '80 CJ-7. The breather tube that screws into the rear axle has fallen out, so now I have to steer clear of all water and mud. I can't find another one anywhere. Can anybody help me out?

#3 ·
The breathers that I have seen are 1/8" NPT. Pick up a hose barb by 1/8" npt fitting and about 3 feet or so of vacuum or fuel line that fits on the hose barb and run it up into the space behind the rear wheel. Secure it as far up as you can. You may have to clean up the threads with a tap; that's probably why the original went bye-bye. Remember to change the gear lube if you use a tap on the threads.

#4 ·
just get a brass or nylon threaded fitting thats close to teh original hole size on one end, and barbed on the other, coat it with gasket sheelac, and force it in, then change the diff oil.

simple..

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

#5 ·
The [missing] fitting on my AMC 20 axle looked like it was press fit in; I cut a brass hose coupler in half, cleaned the outside of the axle tube real good, and stuck it on with JB Weld. No problems since.

-Dana

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced...
Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
-- Cherokee saying

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.