Off Roading Forums banner

Oil in the Air cleaner housing?

576 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
Is this normal? it appears to be coming through the PVC breather fitting....

any input would help as usual

Jeep'n Greg

#2 ·
Speaking of that, mine is doing the same blowby crap and I would like to know if there is any safe way to get the oil out of my K&N air filter. Maybe just the cleaner they sell? I don't want to replace it so soon.
Thanks,
Bryan/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

PS. Check your PCV valve to see if it is operating by removing it and shaking it. If you here the ball click around, it should be ok. Spray some carb cleaner in there to get rid of any crap that my be clogging it too.
I think it is normal in a very small amount. That is the path of least resistance for oil to go when there is too much pressure in the crank case. I think...
There are "catchers" that you can fabricate or probably buy to prevent the oil from making it to the housing itself.

G
#5 ·
Elusive,

I think I am having very similar problems with my beastie right now. I have the 4.2l engine, and had oil throughout my aircleaner. I now have a new PVC valve, cleaners and seals. My engine makes clicking noises and trys to stall all the time. I am thinking that I have a vacuum leak, which I hope to fix this weekend.

What is this about the rings, and needing to look for a new engine? Can I not just rebuild my beastie, or would it be better to drop in a V-8?

Laters!

Vance - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1985 4x4 S-10 and 1988 Jeep YJ

#7 ·
well most of the time when you see oil in your air filter.. replace the pcv valve..if that doesnt do it.. then your seals are bad. and yes you can fix this.. but it is not an easy project for most. i would advise against just dropping in new rings.. you will at the least hone (sp?) out the cylinders so the new rings get a good seal... and if its bad enough then you will have to bore it out... which calls for new pistons..

do a search on this board for this.. it was discussed in detail around the turn of the new year..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G
#8 ·
I has this problem when I first bought my Jeep. I fianlly ended up getting the engine rebuilt. Apparently the engine is not circulating the air correctly, and that forces the air out of the valve cover, hence into the air filter. I guess just because someone say's the engines been ribuilt when you are buying it doesn't mean squat! Oh well, I guess I know it's been rebuilt NOW!

J just
E mpty
E very
P ocket!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.