6=8 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 07:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

6=8

One of the guys out on the trail this past weekend had a jeep that would conquer dam near any hill. Come to find out, he had a 6 cyl (258). He made all the "stock" V8's look like sissies. It even sounded bad a--. Anybody have suggestions on achieving that kind of power out of the old six banger. I believe the guy had a 4bbl, one heck of a cam, and headers and who knows what else in that puppy. I just need a reason to start replacing axles I guess.

JC
84 CJ7 258 AUTO M300 AMC20&M30 SOA 33/12.5'S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 08:18 PM

Re: 6=8

Magic HP dust, would be my suggestion.
There is no way that a 258 without major, major, high performance work is gonna compete with a healthy V8. You will be lucky to get 200 HP out of that mill, without thousands of dollars worth of upgrades and rebuilding. Almost any V8 will start at 200 HP and be easily built to 300 or more. There must have been some sickly V8's on your run, to have them all look like Sissy's, I guarentee you, he wouldnt make my 5.0 look like a sissy.
Dont take me wrong, I know that the 258, can be built into a strong engine, Ive seen Jaffers engine, in action, and it is very healthy. I also dont believe that Big V8 HP, is the end all to beat all on the trail, but the statement that a 258 made all V8 engines look like sissies, is just stupid.
The 4.0 head swap trick, on a healthy 258, along with roller rockers, performance cam, headers, high volume fuel pump, etc. would be one route, If the magic Horse Power dust doesnt work for ya.

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 08:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What you probably saw was a realy well set up drive train and suspension out do a bunch of muscle with no feet. jim

(JEEP LAW) 4 modifications per application
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 09:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Notice, I did say "stock". The drivetrain did help out. There was a couple of 304's and a 350 to be precise. He couldn't compete with the other 350 though. I agree that a V8 is far superior, but this 6 was a good one. I would love to swap a 350. I have one in my 57 chevy 2dr hd top. It didn't cost too much to put together over 350hp, but after axles, R&P, and Fenders, etc. it has been $$$$$$$.

JC
84 CJ7 258 AUTO M300 AMC20&M30 SOA 33/12.5'S
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 09:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ya.. my last 258 would out gun my buddies.. stock crate 305 in his jeep... that thing was nutless compared to my 258... but compared to my tired 401.. doesnt come close.. .
h8 is right.. i really good 258.. is a damn fine motor.. but.. compared to a mildly built v8.. it doesnt hold a candle to it..

listen to ole h8.. talkin trash only days after his engine swap.. what happened to that... i have a 4 cyl.. and its all i need for the rocks out here.. blah blah crap?
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
hehehehe... someone has seen the light..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 09:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

First off I like line six's. But they will not stand up to even a stock V8 in terms of HP With out Major building up. They will produce About the same Torque stock. Most likly the reason that you where so Impressed with the 6 was that you where looking at the wrong thing. Tires, lockers, gears and last but not least DRIVER SKILL; play more of a part then HP. Six's are Great engines but they are not V8's.

For what it is worth I feel I have never been held back by my line 6.

bandhmo

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 09:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think if you build a real strong 6 then look at what you put in $ wise and the HP you got, then look at what the same $ would produce in a chevy 350 you would not be happy.I have herd several people compliment a 6 for having alot of tourque, dont realy understand why but have herd it.

(JEEP LAW) 4 modifications per application
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 09:56 PM

Hahaha, Jeepgod, I do sound like an HP monger now, dont I?
In all honesty, though, for the kind of trails I like to wheel, the 4 cylinder was all I needed.
The V8 swap, was the most work and money, I have ever put into the YJ, with the least amount of return. Sure it impressive, and everyone wants to peak under the hood. I get a lot of ooooohs and ahhhhs, but it doesnt go anywhere I couldnt go before, and on occasion, can even cause problems due to the almost uncontrolable wheel spin, if the throttle is even slightly over applied. It sure does drive nice on the street though(big deal). And it gets great gas mileage on the trail(better than most 4.0 mills).
I plan to use it this summer on some dunes, but my excessive hieght will be less than optimum there.
Its deffinitely not the bang for the buck, of an SOA conversion, 4:1 T case, or front and rear lockers.

Jeff
89 YJ
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 10:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Unless you want to run dunes or mudbog, a 258I6 will be all you need. I put
the MPI kit on mine so it wouldn't stall, and I put the Borla header on because
of the cracking cast iron exhaust manifold. H8 was with me last Aug. on the Dusy
when he still had his 4-popper and it didn't need any help on the rocks.

Gary
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 10:51 PM

Yup, Dusy, and Coyote.
And that was with the rig fully burdened with 7 days worth of fuel and supplies. That was a good lil engine. I ran it for almost a year, with no problems.
That was sure a great trip too.

Jeff
89 YJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode