How do we protect our mods and accessories? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

How do we protect our mods and accessories?

Yeah I've had 2 stereos stolen and several tools out of my Jeep, but that was to be expected. My question is, how do we prepare to stop someone trying to steel a winch? I just installed my Warn 8274, and with the simple turn of a few bolts; anyone could easily walk away with my investment! I'd rather not weld it to the frame-what have y'all done?

84RENEGADE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 05:05 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: How do we protect our mods and accessories?

check with your local hardware store or preferrably a local wholesaler of nuts and bolts and look into getting some type of security head bolts. Different types are made that require a certain type wrench/socket to remove them. You buy the security headed bolts and the tool, and that at least cuts down on the number of people that can remove the bolts. It doesn't guarantee anything but at least puts the odds more in your favor. The tricky part is that alot of places may not allow you to buy the security tool becasue they are controlled, you'll just have to check into it and see what you can come up with.

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
2001 Bare Stock Trendy Jeep Sport (everyday driver)
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 05:21 PM
madmaxx

After my friend had his brand new winch stollen off the front of his jeep I got the welder out and welded all the bolt heads to the mounting plate. If I have to get it off I'll just have to cut the bolts and do a little gringing but at least it will make it real hard to steal

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 05:30 PM

I've seen this exact problem solved in an old magazine. Weld a piece of channel over the nut. This way, you won't be able to get a socket on it from above and have to wrench it off. And since you can't turn the wrench all the way, it will take forever to take off, and hope that a thief won't risk being caught being there any length of time.

87 wrangler - 258
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 06:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One option is to just throw a spot weld on each nut or bolt head after your finished installing the winch. With the spot welds in place it makes it impossible to put a socket on the heads. You can put a dot on each side if you want to, that makes it impossible to even get a wrench on there. When you need to take it off, just grind off the little nubs.

97 Tj, 10" suspension lift, 38.5 SXs, 4.0, "flipped" dana 300. 44F/60R axles.
Locked up and Armored
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 04:26 PM
Leigh_Smith

I wish I had a picture but here goes: My winch mounting plate is welded into my bush bar, the bar slides into the frame from the front and is bolted in several places. This results in the 2 back bolts that hold the winch on are sandwiched between the mounting plate and the factory steel plate in front. So, to steal the winch the bush bar must be removed and that is too much like work for a lot of thieves. I never like to leave my jeep on the street for long and I try not to make a pattern of my parking.
I have been lucky so far but I also store it in a garage. She would never forgive me if I kept her outside, we have an understanding, I keep her from the crusher and she hauls my ass where ever I want to go!

81 CJ7 304/904/D300 scout 44's locked, full cage, 33"wildcats, warn HS9500i, bush bar from hell and diamondplate sides to cover gaping rust holes!! Coming soon OBA!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 04:41 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I've seen guys take a threaded pipe end (for lack of knowing the proper term) and welding that over the bolt head.

You may want to consider a motion alarm, or a big thick chain or cable lock around the winch drum to the frame of the jeep.

Ooor....get a receiver mount so you can take the winch inside with you. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

....or move to a nicer town where they don't steal stuff. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Small-town Pete.

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 11:08 PM

you could just keep a 150 pound hungry rottwieller hooked to it on a 3 foot chain

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 01:11 AM

The other one is to have 4+ different types of bolts on your winch.
I know a guy who has a huge sub in the back of his Rice Rocket, after being stolen once, I told him to do this, hes come back numerous times to find that the theives have take off one or two bolts then given up because their all diffent shapes.
(Take 2 of the bolts, get a huge flat head screw driver. (HUGE!) grind off the hex, and then slot the top.
If they manage to get all the other hex nuts off, there sure as hell going to have trouble getting the rounded bolts off)

another option is just to use Torx bolts. Hell, if I saw a 2 lb diamond strapped down with a torx bolt and a sign saying (Take me) I'd pass on it.

Do you think insurance will cover the carb if it some how "teleports" behind the tires of a 350 with dualies?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 03:17 AM
Old Hand

Here you go, weld a piece of pipe (inside diameter just big enough for your socket to fit in) on your winch plate where your bolt heads go. use studs, Then get the old style wheel locks that had the recessed funny looking key. this is the best one Ive seen. keep the key hidden or ...? An old boss of mine had this on his truck. I was surprised when I saw what he came up with.
Thanx Mike

"If its got tits or tires youre gonna have problems".
I make Half doors for pics, click here http://communities.msn.com/Grimjeepe...halfdoors.msnw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode